Reaching the Hook-Point

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching the Hook-Point

I thought it'd be useful to get a discussion going on this topic, because of it's importance for cold approach.

I'm sure most of us know what the hook-point is, but just in case there's some confusion let me define it here. The hook-point, is the point during an interaction, where the girl is interested and committed to continuing the interaction.

For the most part, once this point is reached, you're able to move the interaction / seduction forward in a number of different ways. You could get a solid number, you could isolate (get her to come sit down with you in a bar or club), move things to an instant date, or simply prolong the conversation.

Some of the tell-tale signs that you've reached the hook-point include her facing you completely, her asking you questions and investing more into the conversation (for example she's starting to talk a lot.)

--

Now, the purpose of this thread is to share field-tested methods / strategies for reaching the hook-point.

And to make this thread a reference point for anybody who has challenges in-field related to the hook point. Whether that challenge comes in the form of reaching it more often, or reaching it in certain scenarios. Bottom line is, someone who's new to PU or trying to get better at this skill should be able to have a look at this thread and walk away with ideas he can test out in-field and have success with.

So I'm going to list a few scenarios that are sorta common in PU, and you guys can chime in and say how you would reach the hook-point in these scenarios. Feel free to detail both the verbal and non-verbal aspects of how you would take things from approach to hook.

Also, you can reply to as many scenarios as you like. Here they are:
    • You see a girl attempting to order a drink at a bar's counter-top, she's alone and sort of trying to get the bartenders attention.
    • You see a girl sitting on a large park bench, in the middle of the day, texting.
    • You see a girl smoking a cigarette in the patio outside a club
    • You see a girl walking down the street
    • You see a girl waiting for a bus / train at the subway
    • You see a girl sitting down in a bar, at a table within a group with a group of girls
    • You see a girl sitting down at a table, alone, in a coffee shop
    • You see a girl sitting down in a bar, at a table within a mixed group, guys and girls
    • You see a girl standing with her friend, at a bar, the two girls are not talking, instead they're looking around

Bonus points if you can share a strategy you would use to reach the hook-point with a girl who's fairly unresponsive (yellow / red) right off the bat, in any of these scenarios.
    Last edited by Bacchus; 11-26-2017, 11:35 PM.

Alright, I started the thread so I should probably go first. Anyone who's read my reports will know how I hook, but here it is again anyway.

• You see a girl attempting to order a drink at a bar's counter-top, she's alone and sort of trying to get the bartenders attention.
    I'd do a standard hover. Then open with "how's your night going" only turning my head to face her. Most girls tend to answer this question with "good" then return it back to me.

I'd then reply slowly with something kinda intriguing, "kinda so-so... I'm still trying to get used too the night life in this city."

Then a pause to let her respond and she if she takes the bait. If she does not I'll follow up with, "you know that feeling when you're in a new city and still trying to getting a feel for everything, the city, the people, all that... so everything is a little new and exciting, that's me at the moment."

Most girls reply with something stating they know what that feeling is like, then they ask me where I'm from. I reply saying "take a wild guess." Leading to her give me a careful look as she rattles off a few guesses based on my look and accent. I might offer to give her a hint if she says she's bad at guessing or something like that.

Once she guesses it or I tell her after a couple wrong guesses, she might follow up with usual questions on that topic such as "why did you move here?" I'll cover that conversation route in another reply since I do this intrigue / conversation-bait in a number of different scenarios.

So for this scenario let's say she just responds with something like "oh wow that's cool" since that happens a good portion of the time as well.

I then ask her "so what's something you do, that you enjoy besides sleeping, eating and partying." A lot of girls giggle, then mention what they study or a hobby of theirs. I ask them what they like about it / how does it feel when they're doing X activity. And I listen with strong eye contact as she goes on to answer that question.

After which she returns the question to me, and I tell her that I paint. The hook-point is pretty much reached at this point or sometime before. Most girls start asking me questions about painting / sketching which leads me to respond with emotional simulators.

• You see a girl sitting on a large park bench, in the middle of the day, texting.
    I'd sit on the bench, without looking in her direction, fully focused on my phone. Standard hover. Not too close but within ear-shot.

After a couple moments I'd say "wow, still can't believe how hot it gets in this city." Turning just my head to face her while my body isn't to give a more casual feel to the approach. Most girls would reply with something along the lines of "yeah it does get pretty warm." I'd follow up with "yeah, you know it's funny but when I was planning to move to Canada, everyone back home kept going 'don't go to Canada it's soo cold' but I get here and it's warm."

A lot of the time I don't even get to finish that sentences, girls regularly interrupt to ask where I'm from. From there it's similar to the above with the guessing game. Let's say in this case, and this is more likely to happen in day-game scenarios, she asks me why I moved here.

I tell her "i got tired of hanging out with the same people, going to the same places... it was like life had become a pattern of doing the same thing over and over again, does that make sense? yeah you get to this point where you just need a change, something new, so I moved."

She might ask me if I moved with my family / if I moved alone. I'd respond with, "yeah, I moved alone it was sort of scary at first, since you don't know anyone around, but at the same time, since you don't know anyone, you're free to do whatever you like, be whoever you want, you don't have to worry about what anyone else thinks."

After that point I go straight into a gambit on the topic of travelling, ("say you won the lottery and you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?") which allows me to follow up with some covert sexual frames and emotional simulators on that topic. Hook point is reached around this point or sometime before.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I got intrigued in the other thread by:
      Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
      - reaching the hook-point with yellow / red girls
      How do you know they are yellow/reds before reaching the hookpoint?

Comment

Originally posted by Sase View Post
        Closed off body-language is one indicator. Hard or skeptical facial expressions where she looks at you like you're some side dish she didn't order, is another.

One word answers to your attempts to get a conversation going / not even looking up from her phone to say something like "ok" "cool" "good" is a pretty big one. Then there are others like a strictly platonic vibe from her part, you're talking with her and you're unable to get past boring small talk, her investment in the interaction seems low, etc.

The green, yellow, red distinction's a tool used to screen initial receptiveness to seduction. At least, that's how I've seen it applied pretty much everywhere it's come up. So based off that, it's a generalization you might make right after approaching her, based off your read on her, before you even reach the hook-point.

Finally, reaching the hook-point generally feels more difficult to achieve with a girl who's on the yellow / red spectrum.

Comment

...Hard or skeptical facial expressions where she looks at you like you're some side dish she didn't order....
          Hahaha! I'm stealing this.
          Yup, that's clear enough. And it makes sense you wouldn't want to reach hook point with these. Thanks.
          Not much to add to the scenarios you've given. I'm in a different age group. I usually make situational remarks. About her, me or something around us. I let my accent create the intrigue. I have an unusual name (for US) and I roll my "r" when I say it. 9 out of 10 ask me at this point where I am from. I make them guess (rarely), change the subject (even more rarely), or, if I'm feeling giddy, I pretend to be offended: "What do you mean I have an accent?" etc. Most often I just tell them. And move on to subjects more engaging. Sometimes they want to know about my experience here. A critique of puritan roots of US culture comes up somehow. Gently, subtly, politely. Just enough to get their imagination going. I'm with a different demographic, age wise. So the subject of my children often comes up. This brings up questions and them finding out I'm a single father, divorced, grown children, footloose and fancy-free. If they have grown children I ask what do they do with the new-found freedom. If they have young children, what do they do to recharge, be a grownup, balance the stress of parenting. "When is Mom's night off?" It takes one to know one, though.This life experience can't be faked.
          Either way we find commonalities and go from there.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I got intrigued in the other thread by:

if you want take a look at this with video samples

Comment

Nice idea! As a bar/club 1-trick-pony, I look forward to learning new things here!

I tend to picture it as a 2-step: 1) Make impact, to pry open a time window. 2) Use window to quickly create connection.
              -For impact, I usually turn suddenly as if a bit stunned by her looks, then strong compliment(*), underscored by touching her arm lightly.
              -Stacking a handful of mini-reads(*), is my favorite follow-up for transitioning into more intimate conversation +kino (**).
              -I like to mix in a bit of dancing(*) too, as I like how it can 'confirm' a sexual connection that is starting to happen.
              -Signs like her holding my arm and following me around, are good 'hook' indications. I like to go for a venue change asap at this point. (Lingering too long in one venue, has cost me many girls over the years. Things need to keep moving forward. In the words of Style, "Picture yourself standing on an escalator moving in the wrong direction.")
              -Sign of yellowness / time window closing, is when a girl starts looking around more, focusing less on me. A particular thing I do to fix, is addressing another girl in the immediate vicinity. I find that this can kick girls out of yellowness very promptly sometimes. (E.g. she grabs my arm and drags me away from the other girl, to another part of venue.)
              *: Example/details in other threads. May put links later.
              **: I prefer a very plain conversation (info, likes etc), so I can focus on getting the vibe right, rather than figuring what to say. Old school canned push-pull is still roughly 5%. Old habits die hard..
              Last edited by ijjjji; 11-27-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

My impression is that preopeners are very powerful when it comes to hooking especially when you demonstrated some qualities in the preopen. Of course you can only preopen if you are 99% sure that you get the chance to talk to her again very soon. Let's say you are in the supermarket, see a girl standing near the vegetables. I would kind of hover /body rock, not giving her the full attention of my body, drop a comment depending on what I think the girl is like (the bitchier she looks the less intellectual aka wordy the statement). Then smile and eject or smile and make a chase-frame statement like "the yoghurt is desperately waiting for me" and then eject. Don't stand there waiting for an answer. Then you can reopen with a cold read (looks like you're xyz), simple small talk whatever. It opens just way better.

But of course, you can't always preopen.

Comment

Yup, that's clear enough. And it makes sense you wouldn't want to reach hook point with these. Thanks.
                  I like your open to hook progression Sase. Just a quick note, it's not that I don't want to reach the hook-point with unresponsive girls, it just tends to be a little more difficult.

When I was still developing hook strategies and testing them out on various chicks in various scenarios, I did come up with a strategy that I could use in certain scenarios to reach the hook-point with the ones who were initially quite unresponsive. It worked pretty consistently.

However I found that as time went on, and my vibe / fundamentals improved some more, I found that rarely had to use that strategy anymore because fewer girls were just that unresponsive. I still think it's a good idea to have the ability to whip out such a strategy just in case though.

You might run into a girl that triggers some deep desire in you, and it would be a shame if her initial unresponsiveness got in the way.

Originally posted by ijjjji View Post
                  -Sign of yellowness / time window closing, is when a girl starts looking around more, focusing less on me. A particular thing I do to fix, is addressing another girl in the immediate vicinity. I find that this can kick girls out of yellowness very promptly sometimes. (E.g. she grabs my arm and drags me away from the other girl, to another part of venue.)
                  This is pretty cool, using jealousy from my interaction with another girl, to move the interaction forward is something I've done before.

If a girl is looking around and focusing less on me though, I'd view that as a hint that she's either starting to grow bored, or is already quite bored. Meaning at that very moment she's not properly emotionally stimulated / immersed in her conversation with me.

What I do in those situations is immediately take the conversation to a place where I can run some descriptive, emotionally packed gambits. Emotional stimulators, etc. Generally I like to get to this point in the conversation as quickly as possible because I find that it strongly cements the hook-point and also makes it easier to venue change.

Comment

Alright, I started the thread so I should probably go first. Anyone who's read my reports will know how I hook, but here it is again anyway.

I'd do a standard hover. Then open with "how's your night going" only turning my head to face her. Most girls tend to answer this question with "good" then return it back to me.

I'd then reply slowly with something kinda intriguing, "kinda so-so... I'm still trying to get used too the night life in this city."

Then a pause to let her respond and she if she takes the bait. If she does not I'll follow up with, "you know that feeling when you're in a new city and still trying to getting a feel for everything, the city, the people, all that... so everything is a little new and exciting, that's me at the moment."

Most girls reply with something stating they know what that feeling is like, then they ask me where I'm from. I reply saying "take a wild guess." Leading to her give me a careful look as she rattles off a few guesses based on my look and accent. I might offer to give her a hint if she says she's bad at guessing or something like that.

Once she guesses it or I tell her after a couple wrong guesses, she might follow up with usual questions on that topic such as "why did you move here?" I'll cover that conversation route in another reply since I do this intrigue / conversation-bait in a number of different scenarios.

So for this scenario let's say she just responds with something like "oh wow that's cool" since that happens a good portion of the time as well.

I then ask her "so what's something you do, that you enjoy besides sleeping, eating and partying." A lot of girls giggle, then mention what they study or a hobby of theirs. I ask them what they like about it / how does it feel when they're doing X activity. And I listen with strong eye contact as she goes on to answer that question.

After which she returns the question to me, and I tell her that I paint. The hook-point is pretty much reached at this point or sometime before. Most girls start asking me questions about painting / sketching which leads me to respond with emotional simulators.

I'd sit on the bench, without looking in her direction, fully focused on my phone. Standard hover. Not too close but within ear-shot.

After a couple moments I'd say "wow, still can't believe how hot it gets in this city." Turning just my head to face her while my body isn't to give a more casual feel to the approach. Most girls would reply with something along the lines of "yeah it does get pretty warm." I'd follow up with "yeah, you know it's funny but when I was planning to move to Canada, everyone back home kept going 'don't go to Canada it's soo cold' but I get here and it's warm."

A lot of the time I don't even get to finish that sentences, girls regularly interrupt to ask where I'm from. From there it's similar to the above with the guessing game. Let's say in this case, and this is more likely to happen in day-game scenarios, she asks me why I moved here.

I tell her "i got tired of hanging out with the same people, going to the same places... it was like life had become a pattern of doing the same thing over and over again, does that make sense? yeah you get to this point where you just need a change, something new, so I moved."

She might ask me if I moved with my family / if I moved alone. I'd respond with, "yeah, I moved alone it was sort of scary at first, since you don't know anyone around, but at the same time, since you don't know anyone, you're free to do whatever you like, be whoever you want, you don't have to worry about what anyone else thinks."

After that point I go straight into a gambit on the topic of travelling, ("say you won the lottery and you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?") which allows me to follow up with some covert sexual frames and emotional simulators on that topic. Hook point is reached around this point or sometime before.
                    this is very good! that is what i am talking about....(gave it to my Spain friend to memorize perfect for him)

i play with my mom says i am from heaven

or i am from heaven i just felt and hurt my knee

Then they ask a second time (make her ask again, is what i do,to get a bit more investment and compliance)

(kind of like you do, but my point is field test a bit of humor, though you don't need it since you are making it work)

hb: where are you from?

bachaus: my mom says i am from heaven but i know she is lying(now if she does not ask you a second time, here you say guess?)

hb: giggles no really where are you from?

bachaus: take a wild guess?

Comment

My hooks are typically about widening her perspective on me as a guy
                      So, I assume girls typically look at dudes as slow, tedious, boring, unimaginative, and crappy lovers.
                      Almost everything can confirm this to a girl.
                      Such as long rants about your own opinion, or just acting in some traditional way via introductions, or uncalibrated and weird actions.

So, I stop and think... "how do I get across this assumption with her"

I look at the signals shes giving off, the context of her situation, what personality type she has
                      Bubbly, stoic, clever, manic, etc
                      And how that relates to how she likes guys
                      Bubbly likes cute men or very subtle domination
                      Stoic likes unspoken connections and boldness
                      Clever likes silly goofy stuff with a hint of status
                      Manic likes simple sexy stuff and things that grab their attention

So depending on that I alter the hook
                      I aim to communicate I'm not average and apathetic via what she likes most

Bubbly girl I'll come in really smooth and keep a bit of distance (showing I'm aware her bubbly attitude isn't interest, most guys come on too strong thinking she likes em)
                      Stoic girl, I'll delay coming in, until she is aware I am coming in, then I wont waver I'll enter with very clear motive
                      Clever girl, I'll come in doing stuff, and then get her involved in it
                      Manic girl, I'll do something to catch her eye and turn to her with a question about her in my eyes

I'll do simple intro stuff and handling any random initial chaos
                      I'll get a good look into her eyes for a bit to establish that I am seeing her and refering to her and noticing her
                      I'll tilt in a bit closer to her with one shoulder and change the tone of my voice
                      And I'll notice something amusing or interesting that gets her to open up her energy and start talking

Then just a few simple comments that show I'm low key but sexy
                      Like "so your friend is xyz, and lemme guess you are abc, how is that working out?" "you know I think that xyz sorta means abc" "tell me, are you xyz or abc right now" "yeah I get that, hey I'm cosy, wanna abc"

If she is red yellow, I step back and am like "ohh whoa, ok, so xyz right?", then work a bit slower and take a longer route into second gen verbal stuff
                      Basically treading water with what I think she'll keep responding to and sort of chumming the water with little hints, until I can hit a button that switches her on.
                      Then once switched on I sort of backpedal a bit and redo my assumptions on her, and redo the start part like shes a green, an then some second gen verbal.

All that communicates I'm not apathetic, and not average, cuz most guys can't act that socially perceptive an agile, most guys stagnate.
                      Then once shes hooked and it is fluid, I go fully into sexual prizing type stuff, ss, efas, mentioning what I think shed be like and why I approached her but also what I'm still curious about.

Then flirt then get into sexual details, sex positions, fantasies, dirty talk with sample examples, her feelings on getting gone down on, or giving bjs best experiences, her hottest features/moves, what shed like to be or try.
                      Then elicit her logistics and views on certain options, I pick the best one and either non-chalantly suggest it, or lead her towards it, making sure she is thoroughly persuadable first, dropping hints of cool stuff as we go..

Some of the time girls dig their heels in and say "xyz issue though" and once addressed, thats usually it

Comment

Nice thread. I don't do too much focused day time stuff. But the night scenarios are all pretty typical to run in to.

"You see a girl standing with her friend, at a bar, the two girls are not talking, instead they're looking around"

Depending on the vibe of the pair and the venue and what kind of energy I'm bringing to the night, I'll either go low key with something like "how are you all doing tonight" or "are you all still waiting?" and then ask them if it's a girl's night out or what they are doing out together. Get them talking about themselves and their night, and lay some bait so they ask some kind of personal question about me like where I'm from with some basic bait like Bacchus does like "i'm not from around here" or what I do with some bait like "I just got done with a client dinner that's why I'm so dressed up"

That's pretty typical stuff for me to come in with on the low energy side, and usually how I run things as I'm most likely posted at the bar and scoping things and just hitting up girls that go by with random comments like that.

Once they start asking you questions then it's pretty much at hook and you can move along and move the emotional state of the group however you want.

Sometimes, I'll go in harder to get a hook right off the opening.

Like the other night I was posted at the bar and some chicks were eyeing me because I was suited up and very fresh coming off some biz stuff in a bar where no one ever comes in a suit, so I rolled over and told them "It's not polite to stare" and that hooked right away as they jumped in to the convo laughing and denying that they were staring and accusing me of staring.

For a girl that is more yellow or red, I'll just amp up the emotions until she hooks or it blows up. Usually that's by dropping reads on her and then pivoting. So when she expects me to go right I go left. So with the above example, if they don't hook or start to ask questions off one of the low energy open and bait, then I'll mini cold read the pair until they hit an emotional response that falls somewhere between "OMG yes" and "OMG you're crazy."

With a pair of girls it's even easier than with one because you can play them off each other. Like I love asking one girl if the other one is the trouble maker in the group cause she looks like the trouble maker. Usually the friend will either agree or she will jump in to defend her friend, and then it just goes back on her like "ohhh so you're actually the trouble maker, see her vibe/earrings/necklace made me think it was her but now I can tell it's you because of your dress/vibe/makeup/etc"

Occasionally one girl is open to the convo and the other one is not, which is where it gets a little weird cause you have to decide if you want to focus on the receptive girl, or try and turn the other one. Usually for me that means back turning one girl and quipping about the other one to the girl I'm now facing.

If I back turn the receptive girl, she will almost always fight to get me back to facing her, so usually I do that cause now you are in there. Back turning the non-receptive girl can be ok, but it may make them even more non-receptive, or it might make them fight to get you to open up again by being nicer. That's a 50/50 move, haven't figured out a way around that too much.

Comment

I would open with whatever, even with "ehhhhhhhhh" when they are dancing, get an ai

I would say "what are you guys celebrating" seems to work well as a cold read

then the how you guys know each other? seems also to work well...

then a lot is backing off an giving them space while staying in proximity and having my own fun (usually dances) then re-engage or they reangage me... it seems to send the signal in nigh game of his not a creeper, he is safe, he is none needy...

Comment

One key to hook (im told i hook madly from all friends around incl. teevs and i often make her dismiss-ignore her gfs and hen mothers) for me is when i tune in on her 100% feel her, then capture an emotion dominant to her identity (she will clearly radiate it in social settings) and then expand on it for her, making her imaginative to how life would be if she unfolded that or moved into context where it would be a huge strength. this i get to through and expanded version of SMMA mixed with a larger verbal framework of Riker

in all spaces i tend to
                            - Either mingle in OR hover actively (ill make a post some day since ive expanded the hovering idea quite some with mingly type thigns and gestures to capture attention) and use vibe game/presence to get her attentive to me and ready for me.
                            - chat her up - attention and focus on her "world", while leading the convo in certain directions while adding frames/persepctives that makes her feel liberated around key topics. key is to make her talk about her 90% 0f the time while i direct the topics and lead directions through fractionations and somewhat more dramatic responses to what she says than most people gives. not uber gay but amping it up and being excited about what she says from a grounded being.

in many ways the hook is nonexistent and slides in as an undercurrent but ive noticed the focussing on her emotion and expanding it in interesting directions will make them drop their jaws and cling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skills360 View Post
                              this is very good! that is what i am talking about....(gave it to my Spain friend to memorize perfect for him)
                              Glad to here it, I'd be interested to hear what his results are with it.

And yeah I've field-tested sprinkling some humor in there here and there, playfully avoiding the question or giving humorous answers to get a little more investment, it def works.

Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
                              "You see a girl standing with her friend, at a bar, the two girls are not talking, instead they're looking around"

Depending on the vibe of the pair and the venue and what kind of energy I'm bringing to the night, I'll either go low key with something like "how are you all doing tonight" or "are you all still waiting?" and then ask them if it's a girl's night out or what they are doing out together. Get them talking about themselves and their night, and lay some bait so they ask some kind of personal question about me like where I'm from with some basic bait like Bacchus does like "i'm not from around here" or what I do with some bait like "I just got done with a client dinner that's why I'm so dressed up"
                              I like this BC, this is the sort of stuff I do when walking over to a table with a group of girls.

In that situation, I like to get some eye-contact flirting going so the girls know I'm coming. The anticipation helps, then I go in pretty much as you describe "how's the night going?" then go into some bait, like you pointed out, when there's more than one chick present you can play them off each other.

I'm fond of making the entire group guess where I'm from. . . For two girls who are scanning the bar though, I've field-tested this opener "both of you look like you're just silently judging everyone in this bar" with a sort of sly expression. It's absolute chick-crack.

Some girls'll agree with you immediately, then you can get into a game where all of you look around and make fun of randoms in the bar, who's dressed the worst, who has the worst chance of getting laid, etc. Can even choose a guy and get the lesser attractive girl of the two to go approach him, leaving you alone with the hotter one.

I also think it's interesting how we're getting into specific goals we aim to achieve and then reaching the hook-point as a by-product of achieving that goal.

Cosy aims to widen her perspective on him, and separate himself from the average guy she usually meets. Skills aims to show that her he's not needy or overly invested in the interaction. Ij, aims to make an impact then using the window created from that impact to form a connection.

Glow aims to capture a emotion or quality specific to her, point it out, then expand on it through conversation.

I guess you can say I aim to use intrigue / curiosity to suspend the part of her mind that passes instant judgment on guys, instead of her having those autopilot-like thoughts I get her thinking, "wait, who is this guy? where is he from? i want to find out."

Then I aim to direct her focus, with my words, as she continues to listen to me, by making use of both her imagination and memory as I describe a number of emotional states.

Comment

Working...
                              X