Cocky and Funny in action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocky and Funny in action

I think we can learn so much from movies! The following example is "cartoonish"... what I mean by that is, it's exaggerated for comedic effect; but like all good comedy, has the ring of truth to it. You can imagine yourself in these scenarios with beautiful women and how you might act in similar circumstances.

Two characters here. The lead, played by Ryan Reynolds, is very sexy. His buddy, played by "I have no fucking idea", is AFC.

You cannot objectively say one has better "looks" than the other, but it's obvious that chicks find the character played by Reynolds way sexier. It should also be obvious as to the reasons why.

Please watch and discuss and I will chime in with some points of my own if needed....

One question: is the Reynolds character still as cool by the end of the film? Cos usually guys like him in movies see the 'error of their ways' by the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Solus View Post
      One question: is the Reynolds character still as cool by the end of the film? Cos usually guys like him in movies see the 'error of their ways' by the end.
      Great question and to be honest, I haven't seen the whole film. You're absolutely right though. I've seen that phenomenon in movies many times. It's a backlash against our movement, quite obviously to me. James Bond and the Transporter movies are good exceptions.

I'm trying to remember what movie it was, where the guy was a total player, charming, cocky, funny, women loved him, but very quickly they paint this guy as a complete monster, recklessly going through life and ruining peoples lives. Finally, he is tortured by demons in horrible nightmares. He has to do some very humiliating things for his oneitis to even be willing to speak to him again. By the end he is completely emasculated and you just KNOW he will be devoted to that woman for the end of his days, no matter how badly she treats him and no matter what she does, because it is literally terrifying what happens to him.

Know which movie I'm talking about? Zardoz and I watched it at the same time and discussed it at that time - 3 years ago I think?

Comment

I'm going to have to watch that movie now...

Although not movies, two programmes I will add are two and a half men (with the alpha/beta contrast), and nip/tuck. Christian Troy is fantastic to watch, and a few clios soon recalibrates my own mental state nearer to where it should be.

Comment

I don't think I've seen that one JWS. In the movie Swingers the character played by Vince Vaughn is made to look the fool in the last 5 seconds or so, even though he's been so awesome for the rest of the film.

Here's something I've often wondered. Do writers really understand game? Do you need to have extensive experience with women to write a character like Hank Moody for instance? I suspect not. It helps, but I don't think it's necessary to write him.

You see, once you start from the presumption of, "he's a womaniser," or, "women love him," it's very easy to start filling in the blanks. Why is he so good with women? Oh, he just is. That's his character. I think most people can recognise that guy when they see him - and more than that - they can easily imagine the sort of things he might do or say. Could they do that themselves? No, because that's not who they are. But once you start with the presumption of being good with women the writing (and being good with women) naturally falls into place.

I think there's a great exercise in here along the lines of, "Write yourself as a character in a movie but make one change. Make your movie character MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL WITH WOMEN. What other changes do you need to make to your character's life (or personality) so all this extra success makes sense?"

Comment

I don't think I've seen that one JWS. In the movie Swingers the character played by Vince Vaughn is made to look the fool in the last 5 seconds or so, even though he's been so awesome for the rest of the film.

Here's something I've often wondered. Do writers really understand game? Do you need to have extensive experience with women to write a character like Hank Moody for instance? I suspect not. It helps, but I don't think it's necessary to write him.
            No I strongly disagree. I think you must know the character to write it well. You know that there is a huge gap between mainstream "sexy" and what is actually sexy. The sitcom "Friends" comes to mind... the guys are all model-good-looking, but unbelievable ass kissing dorks.

In this case, David Duchovny who plays Hank Moody is actually the screenwriter as well. Duchovny understands the difference between player and AFC and writes it very well. There are sub communicated reasons that Hank gets all the women, that an AFC would never spot unless he was actually looking for it.

That said, to be a screenwriter in Hollywood you need to know game. Business/politics/sexuality are not that different in terms of psychology, frame control, etc. It's true that there are some very successful businessmen, politicians and maybe even Hollywood types who are still AFC when it comes to women - Brent Smith says he has many such clients - but they don't need to be. Sexual skill is a skill these guys can learn if they dedicate themselves to it.

But no, I don't think you can write a believable and realistic character well if you don't understand that character's psychology on a deep level.

You see, once you start from the presumption of, "he's a womaniser," or, "women love him," it's very easy to start filling in the blanks. Why is he so good with women? Oh, he just is. That's his character. I think most people can recognise that guy when they see him - and more than that - they can easily imagine the sort of things he might do or say. Could they do that themselves? No, because that's not who they are. But once you start with the presumption of being good with women the writing (and being good with women) naturally falls into place.
            I don't really agree... not for a writer anyway... most people who aren't womanisers themselves have a very AFC notion about what it takes to make one. Some common words you'll hear to describe these people, none of which accurately portray Hank Moody out of context:

- Sleazy/Manipulates/lies to women/promises commitment and monogamy to get into their pants
            - Must be very good looking
            - Must be buying them off with expensive gifts
            - Must have a massive dick
            - No woman will put up with him for very long

And the clincher:
            - Only goes for very LSE chicks/ugly chicks. No serious/professional/HSE woman would ever want him

Comment

Further, game has Matrix levels. Someone who lives like Hank Moody can write Hank Moody, Charlie Runkle, and all the female characters as well. Someone who actually lives and thinks like Charlie Runkle in real life, cannot write Hank Moody or even many of the female characters very well.

Comment

I didn't know that David Duchovny also wrote Californication but that makes me like the show even more. Hank Moody was probably a bad example, but he was simply the first person who came to mind. Good to get your thoughts on that though.

My main point was about putting that one piece in place and writing the character around that piece and what needed to happen to make the character true. You're working from an assumption of success if you will.

Originally posted by JWS View Post
                Further, game has Matrix levels. Someone who lives like Hank Moody can write Hank Moody, Charlie Runkle, and all the female characters as well. Someone who actually lives and thinks like Charlie Runkle in real life, cannot write Hank Moody or even many of the female characters very well.

Very true. That's why Hank is the writer and Charlie is the agent.
                Last edited by Solus; 10-09-2011, 03:23 AM. Reason: clarifying a point

Comment

Hi JWS,
                  What is the movie with Reynold that you guys are talking about? Is that the movie that you posted in Youtube to demonstrate a good eye contact? I am wondering if it is possible for you to repost those postcads that instruct us what is a good and what is a bad eye-contact. I've gotta learn this while approaching women.

For Hollywood stereotypes of a womaniser (who is actually just a true man by nature), I can only think of two versions of "Alfie", I don't like the ending of course, but I wonder can I learn something from it.

Comment

I think there is some truth here. Game has many levels, but we all instinctively know what "cool" is. The thing however is that when the rubber meets the road, your inner coolness is drowned out by the social programming about why fucking many chicks is all bad, bad, bad. If you are a horny heterosexual male, all you need to do at the end of the day is to channel your inner charmer. But channeling that inner mack-daddy ain't automatic, with all the shit that we are led to believe on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Isidia View Post
                      Hi JWS,
                      What is the movie with Reynold that you guys are talking about?
                      The movie is called Just Friends

Is that the movie that you posted in Youtube to demonstrate a good eye contact?
                      Yep! Good memory my brother! Goes to show, you can learn multiple things from a single scene, sometimes.

The alpha male will have:

- The right attitude
                      - Good BL
                      - Good EC
                      - Etc.

I am wondering if it is possible for you to repost those postcads that instruct us what is a good and what is a bad eye-contact. I've gotta learn this while approaching women.
                      Well, if you actually click on that video, that will actually take you to my YouTube page. All the videos I've commented on so far are there. The original posts are all over at the old dead site.

Why don't you do this... go to my YouTube page at JosephWentSouth, pick a video you'd like commentary on, and post it up here in General. Then we can all discuss it. Cool?

Comment

I have seen the whole movie.

The first scene (the one posted) is one of my favorite scenes of any movie. Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there: He meets his high school oneitis again and she betaizes the shit out of him. What's a "happy" ending for the audience is really a sad ending for us.

I don't suggest you ruin the power of the clip by watching the rest, you will be disappointed.

Comment

Comment

There is also a good scene from "The Aviator" played in Leonardo Di Caprio, which JWS also posted online. His eye contact is monumental, but I have no idea what is he doing down there with the girl, he just touches her.

And JWS, it's a shame that I can't access on Youtube, it is really annoying the Chinese government has blccked in.A

Are there any other movies that can teach us something about pick-up? Eyes Wide Shut is another that I have watched.

Comment

Originally posted by Da View Post
                              I have seen the whole movie.
                              The first scene (the one posted) is one of my favorite scenes of any movie. Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there: He meets his high school oneitis again and she betaizes the shit out of him. What's a "happy" ending for the audience is really a sad ending for us.

I don't suggest you ruin the power of the clip by watching the rest, you will be disappointed.
                              Yes it's sad, but otherwise those movies would not sell. If one do not like this, stick with the Californication or Two And A Half Men.

Comment

Working...
                              X