Vitamin D!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D!

Felt depressed for 1/2 year... Tried thinking my way out of it, no luck... Tried exercising, that helped a bit, but only temporarily.

The big change came when I started to take a vitamin D supplement. And in big doses (4000-5000 IU daily, as compared to the recommended dose of 200-400 IU by most experts). That really changed how i felt after only a couple of days.

I see no other explanation for it. Now I feel much better... and I also suspect that my body looks better after only a few weeks on this. I lift more in gym, feel more energy... Everything is not perfect, I still have "bad days", but there is such a big change in my mood and energy overall! Feeling hornier too.

The only change I did was to start to take vitamin D. I feel more vital, more alive, feelings and smells are more rich and vivid in their qualities.

I suspect I was really low on vitamin D before I started taking the supplement though, so your milage may vary. But if you are like me, semi depressed and havent been outdoors much, I would certainly give it a try!

PS: Vitamin D is more like a hormone than a vitamine. It has been proven that testosterone and weight loss is associated with levels of vit D. But, there is no clear evidence to support that vit D is a CAUSE of this yet (might just be a correlation, such as that non-depressed people are more active and stay more outdoors, hence have a higher vid D level). I for one am certainly going to continue taking this though. And I have never "measured" my vit D levels, so this is more like an anecdote than proof. So take the story for what its worth
    Last edited by blackbox; 05-26-2012, 05:32 PM.

Originally posted by blackbox View Post
    Felt depressed for 1/2 year... Tried thinking my way out of it, no luck... Tried exercising, that helped a bit, but only temporarily.

The big change came when I started to take a vitamin D supplement. And in big doses (4000-5000 IE daily, as compared to the recommended dose of 200-400 IE by most experts). That really changed how i felt after only a couple of days.

I see no other explanation for it. Now I feel much better... and I also suspect that my body looks better after only a few weeks on this. I lift more in gym, feel more energy... Everything is not perfect, I still have "bad days", but there is such a big change in my mood and energy overall! Feeling hornier too.

The only change I did was to start to take vitamin D. I feel more vital, more alive, feelings and smells are more rich and vivid in their qualities.

I suspect I was really low on vitamin D before I started taking the supplement though, so your milage may vary. But if you are like me, semi depressed and havent been outdoors much, I would certainly give it a try!

PS: Vitamin D is more like a hormone than a vitamine. It has been proven that testosterone and weight loss is associated with levels of vit D. But, there is no clear evidence to support that vit D is a CAUSE of this yet (might just be a correlation, such as that non-depressed people are more active and stay more outdoors, hence have a higher vid D level). I for one am certainly going to continue taking this though. And I have never "measured" my vit D levels, so this is more like an anecdote than proof. So take the story for what its worth
    Sunshine ALWAYS improves my mood - without fail!

I recommend sunshine as opposed to supplements. Also, if you want more vitamin D in your diet, natural, organic food is always far superior to anything you can take in tablet form. There are only a few food sources of vitamin D. AFAIK, Fish, liver, and egg yolk are the only foods that naturally contain vitamin D.

Please watch this video about the good effects sunshine has had on my skin. I wasn't addressing moods specifically, but I was talking about skin condition:

http://youtu.be/1sB5PBTXAII
    Practical Female Psychology for the Practical Man!
    NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE

Comment

I started taking a 2000 IU Vitamin D two years ago, and have not had a winter cold of any severity since. In March when the daughter, and then wife came down with a very nasty flu, I never got it. In the last few weeks I upped that to taking 4000 IU, and I felt an immediate boost in my mood. Like I was just, better. Hard to describe.

I take large dose supplements every day.

Vitamins:
      1 standard multi vitamin
      B complex (varying amounts of the different Bs)
      B6 100 mg
      B12 500 mcg
      C 1000 mg
      D 4000 IU
      E 200 IU
      Magnesium 250 mg
      And a fish oil pill

I really feel this improves my life.
      The older the violin, the sweeter the music. Augustus McCrae

Comment

Yup. Whenever people mention moodiness of any kind, i tend to mention getting a tan. (It sure can be annoying to hear that, if you just wanted the comfort of someone lending an ear, but ive had people thank me later on so im sticking with it.)

another benefit: immune system boost (I havent been sick at all since forever)
        yet another: decreases hangovers
        yet another: decreases hunger and even need for sleep

If you get a 30 min tan (20k IU vD), it takes roughly 7 days for levels to drop back to what they were.

Vit d causes vit a to be consumed at higher rate. This is why fish liver oil is so ideal (containing much of both a and d).

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil
        http://www.westonaprice.org/fat-solu...od-to-sunshine

Comment

Do you need to eat vitamin pills with a fatty meal to be absorbed?
          Visit my own forum, Personal Power Meditation, at www.personalpowermeditation.com/forum
          I am now providing personal Skype coaching for meditation, emotional management, mental techniques and spirituality/worldview. PM me for details!

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus View Post
            Do you need to eat vitamin pills with a fatty meal to be absorbed?
            yes

see "Effect of High- versus Low-Fat Meal on Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels after a Single Oral Dose of Vitamin D: A Single-Blind, Parallel, Randomized Trial"

-M
            "When in doubt... fuck." (Scent of a Woman)

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertree View Post
              Magnesium 250 mg
              this is not nearly enough (50% of the RDA), for a number of reasons:

* Vit D in large doses often has constipating effect, and the way to counteract this is by increasing the Mg dose

* Mg is a co-factor of Vit D, e.g. it increases its absorption rate in the body. So is Zinc (which you're not supplementing)

* pretty much everyone is Mg deficient these days. Mg deficiency also hinders the Vit D absorption and processing in your body

I'd recommend increasing the Mg to (at least) 500mg/day. Everything else looks great

-M

Comment

Thanks for feedback guys. Good points by everyone here.

In addition to vit D i also take Magnesium + calcium supplement (in 1 pill) and zinc in the evening. I also take one spoon of cod liver oil (for omega 3 and vit A). I think this is the optimal combo. Im lucky that I actually think cod liver oil taste OK

I dont take multivitamins though, as i see no use in that if you eat healthy non processed foods. Studies have shown that large doses of vitamins are not very beneficial in general, it might even be harmful in the long run.

Comment

There is a lot of conflicting information out there on vitamins/oils- some say they do nothing, some suggest it may actually be bad for you (!), while others say its the best.

How did you guys arrive at your conclusions?

Im considering the fish oil thing. Blue Ice seems to be the recommended brand. Is there a significant difference between capsules and straight oil? Does anyone recommend a different brand?

Can anyone confirm noticeable, verified results directly correlated to taking oil (ie NOT placebo effect)? In others words, when you stop taking the stuff do you notice a big difference, and can you directly link it to the oil?

Comment

Originally posted by ijjjji View Post
                    If you get a 30 min tan (20k IU vD), it takes roughly 7 days for levels to drop back to what they were
                    what about the increased melanoma risk?

-M

Comment

Originally posted by blackbox View Post
                      I started to take a vitamin D supplement. And in big doses 4000-5000 IE daily
                      Charles Poliquin says that taking megadoses once/twice weekly is much more efficient for raising your Vit D levels as compared to taking the same amount spread among all the days of the week

e.g. in you case according to CP it is better to take 2x15,000 IU rather than 7x4,000 IU

has anyone tried that? I'm not sure if there's much research supporting these claims, but on the other hand this is more or less how your body works - it generates huge amounts of Vit D after exposure to sun until it reaches 10,000 IU (I think) and then the Vit D production shuts down, no matter how much longer you're exposed to sunshine

-M

Comment

About the sun vs supplements issue:

If you can get 20 minutes in the sun weekly (with no t shirt on) that would be sufficient, and no need to take supplements.

As long as you dont get sun burned and dont have any suspicious lumps I wouldnt worry about skin cancer risk.

In winter/ autumn / early spring tanning might be impossible in most countries, so I`d recommend taking 4000-5000 IUs of vitamin D supplement in this period. Also because of wrinkles I would stay the hell away from solariums (max 1x per month). I think most people that use solarium look like shit, I think it is about the amount of UVB vs UVA rays ratio in solariums, but I havent researched this in depth yet so do your own research if you want to make sure).

Personally, after experiencing the positive effects of vitD first hand, I will keep taking 4000-5000 IUs daily to keep my "baseline" of vit D in the healthy range, even in the summer. Will not OCD if i dont remember taking it in the summer months though (as long as i know i got some sunshine on my skin).

By the way, if you want to take a vitD supplement, make sure to choose a vitamin D3 (not D2) variant of it (easier to take up in the body, from what I have read). I dont take it in pill form, but in liquid "drops" in a glass of water. I dont like the taste of pills in general that much (except those few that taste like candy, like the multivitamin "bears" they sell here).

Maneken-pis: Very interesting, I might consider doing that in the future.

Comment

I will also say Blue Ice fermented cod liver oil is great for Vitamins A and D, I do a tablespoon a day.
                          greenpasture.org. I just bought 12 bottles, the unflavored is on sale. Buy the liquid, you get much more for the money. Gumball

Comment

I'm a huge vitamin D fan. Sun in summer, supplement in winter.

It's great for your mood, and I'm a big believer in getting your mood handled through lifestyle changes.

For me, anybody who's depressed should try eating better, getting some exercise and vitamin D and maybe dumping a few assholes from their life before going to a psychologist.

Figure out how much sun your body can handle without burning and you shouldn't have a problem. Be extra careful the first few sunny days of the year.

I'm about the whitest person imaginable and I can handle 20 mins of sun without any problem.

Comment

I take Vit D3 everyday via liquid drops. 5 drop right onto my tongue = 10,000 IU. Going to cut back a little bit now that summer is here.

Just started the Blue Ice Royal Butter Oil, but haven't been on it long enough to see any effects.

There seems to be a small, but growing movement, of people that say skin cancer might not really be coming from sun exposure, but from a lot of the sun blocks we use on our skin.
                              I've also heard that when you supplement Vitamin D in high enough amounts, your skin will tan easier and is less likely to burn from sun exposure.

Comment

Working...
                              X