Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you suggest any good books for improving communication? (sentence building, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you suggest any good books for improving communication? (sentence building, etc)

I have just decided I would like to improve my communication skills. I'm quite interested in language, how we use it to express ideas, etc.
    This does not have to be about pickup or seduction. I would like this to apply to business, friends...everything.

I am already aware of things like speaking clearly, voice tone, voice rhythm (but wouldn't mind learning more). I want to learn about assembling sentences. Example, what is the best way to get your point across? What are some of the qualities of the world's best speakers?

So before I wade through the (probably) thousands of books on this subject, can anyone lend their experience?

Get some books on public presentations. You can try Nancy Duarte or something I just read which is GREAT:

The Presentation Secrets Of Steve Jobs
    http://www.amazon.com/Presentation-S.../dp/0071636080

There are whole chapters in this book about the language Steve Jobs used in his presentations. You are probably looking for something to improve your English, add more vocabulary and make your speech more like a Mark Twain book. That is the wrong approach. If you want to speak EFFECTIVELY you need to construct simple sentences with simple language. They made a study of the language Jobs made in his presentations. It turned out it is the level of English a 6 year old can understand. Compared to speeches by Bill Gates which were only understandable for people with university degrees.

Most people are dumb, you will be far more effective using simple straight to the point language.
    Learn from the masters.

Comment

I highly suggest "Mind-lines" by Michael Hall. You will understand how to structure your words pretty well. The book itself is about framing and reframing things but that is one of the books that has really changed and improved the way I structure the words in order to get the right meaning across.

If you want to look at an exceptional presenter, look up Richard Bandler. Try to get some video material of him. The most entertaining speeches I've ever seen are by him and he really knows how to teach by doing this as well.

Comment

Great. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by pleasance View Post
          I highly suggest "Mind-lines" by Michael Hall. You will understand how to structure your words pretty well. The book itself is about framing and reframing things but that is one of the books that has really changed and improved the way I structure the words in order to get the right meaning across.

If you want to look at an exceptional presenter, look up Richard Bandler. Try to get some video material of him. The most entertaining speeches I've ever seen are by him and he really knows how to teach by doing this as well.
          Yeah, Bandler is pretty awesome.

I was thinking of Mind-Lines when I read the thread, and it's neat to see someone already mentioned it. One warning about it: Michael Hall's writing style is EXTREMELY dense. It's not a quick read by any stretch. The book has some amazing reviews though, and keeps coming up whenever someone mentions language and framing. I just started reading it (I'm maybe 2 chapters in), and if you've gone through it, I'm hoping you can give some tips on how to best learn the material (in a practical, useful manner), given how it's presented.

Comment

Mind-Lines is great for improving your communicating intelligence, just please do not speak like Michael Hall. He's a fucking nerd and probably virgin .

Comment

I'm sure the books mentioned above are very helpful, but I think you would have better luck simply reading high-level material on the subjects you're interested in. You will develop a mastery of language effortlessly by reading more and being thereby exposed to complex sentence formulations - it would probably be more difficult and less effective to achieve this by internalizing the information rationally and subsequently trying to employ it.

Edit: Now that I think of it, reading translations of foreign books exposes you to different ways to structure sentences. Reading a lot of French and German academic writing changed the way I read and write English, I'm sure it would do the same for you.

Comment

Conversational Hypnosis by Carol Sommer

"Conversational Hypnosis" by Carol Sommer is a book about indirect suggestion it teaches you how to word things in a way to get people to do what you want without you directly telling them to do so. Most of these techniques are from, master hypnotist, Professor Millton H. Erickson.

Comment

Working...
                X