Discussion about generating income as a self-employed person

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion about generating income as a self-employed person

This post has two parts....The first part is regarding some more new-agey shit on "manifesting money", and the second part is some actionable advice as to how to proceed with the manifestation of money.

Part 1 - The New Agey shit

Many of you may have read my "30-day experiment" post, which basically says that if you change your thinking from "wanting/needing" to "already having" (aka. switching from a mindset of scarcity to a mindset of abundance), then your life will begin to drastically change for the better. It worked (and continues to work) amazingly for me. The thought of having dryspells or difficulty in meeting women rarely crosses my mind. I do still have periods where I don't hook up for a little while, but I don't stress about it at all. I live day to day, moment to moment, and therefore things such as "It's been X amount of time since I've hooked up with a chick" doesn't even enter into my mind. It's pointless, negative thinking.

While I was going through the 30-day experiment, I also decided that I would add "money affirmations" in there too. As with the women thing, I would say the affirmations as if I already had the money. I would say things like, "Money flows to me easily. I'm on the exact path in my life that I need to be on, and therefore money easily flows into my life. I have $100,000 in my ING account, and more and more money flows into it every single day. My eBook sales are booming. My music business is booming. Opportunities are presented to me every single day. This all comes so easily to me...."

Well, as with the women "magically" appearing into my life, I started noticing that opportunities were also entering into my life as well. Some examples of these opportunities are:

- Some dude that I met at my buddy's wedding a few months ago got my number off my buddy, and wanted to jam with me so we could start up a little 2-piece acoustic act for the weeknights. I had a conversation with this guy about music, and he remembered, and therefore he got in contact with me so we could get this thing started up.

- My cousin, who is extremely inspired by my blog and the fact that I quit my job in the pursuit of what I'm doing, gave my contact info to her friend who is a successful author/internet marketer. His main thing is about "The Law of Attraction", which is basically what I am currently "doing" with my life. We connected, and he gave me, and continues to give me, tips as to how to market my books and website. He also is getting me onto his buddy's online radio show for an interview because they all think that what I did makes for a pretty interesting story.

- My band pretty much "blew up" in the past couple of months, as we were just taken under the wing of a well-known agent who has an insane amount of connections to the best clubs in the area. He just recently gave us about 20 new gigs at 6 new venues. This is only the start too!

- My singer recently called me and offered me an opportunity to help him out during the days laboring for $120/day. He has his own construction business which is run by just him and his brother, and they could use an extra hand here and there. I basically can help out a few days here and there if I want, or not...my choice. Both he and I know that I'm not looking for another full-time job.

- I have been overwhelmed by lots of inspiration lately....I'm not sure where it came from, but it's been like a snowball effect. The more I get into "generating money", the more and more I find myself wanting to pursue it. I'm not really money-hungry, or struggling to get by. I just enjoy exploring different avenues as to how to bring more cash into my life.

With that said, and before I get into the actionable step, I want to talk more about that last point - Inspiration.

Basically what was holding me back before (in addition to having the mindset of scarcity and struggling to pay my bills) was the lack of inspiration. When I wrote my 3 eBooks, I was extremely inspired during the writing process, but once it got to the marketing part (where you actually try to sell your books), I just lost interest. I don't know if it was due to the fact that I didn't think I would make any sales, or it just didn't interest me anymore....I dunno. All I know is that I seriously lacked the motivation to continue to pursue the actual sales/marketing part of it.

As I talked to the successful author guy, I told him about how I really have no motivation to move forward with the marketing of the books. He attempted to help me get motivated and even give me some marketing tips, but I just lacked the drive.

It was right then that I decided to just do whatever I felt like doing....That day, I felt like playing my new piano for 8 hours. Actually, I felt like doing that for the next 2 weeks after buying that piano, and that's exactly what I did.

I didn't care about the fact that I was not doing what I thought I should be doing, which was trying to become financially successful. Concurrently with the affirmations, I just stopped caring about all of that altogether. My inspiration drew me to play the piano for hours per day, and so that's what I did.

I then woke up one day, and I was inspired to talk to a friend of mine who buys and sells things on eBay, so I called him up and asked him if he wouldn't mind explaining a few things to me. He invited me to his house, and he showed me some basic things like how he ships his products and whatnot. That encouraged me to gather up a bunch of random shit that I have laying around my house and list it on eBay...So that's what I did, and I sold some stuff doing so.

I then checked my Amazon account and noticed that I had sold 2 copies of one of my books. A few days later, I got an email saying that I sold another one of my books from my website! It was only 3 sales, but it was enough to spark a fire under my ass and really get me motivated again to start pursuing my eBook sales some more. The next day, I finally decided to log on to Smashwords and upload my books on there. That was something that I've been meaning to do for awhile as well, but I lacked the motivation to do so. Once I had the motivation to upload my books there, nothing was holding me back....It took me about 8 hours to get the formatting done correctly as per the Smashwords formatting style guide, but I got it finished. Now my books are uploaded there, AND I learned a TON about how to format eBooks in Microsoft word so that they can convert easily to other file formats. This was HUGE for me. It all flowed from the inspiration though.

So as far as "motivation" goes....as long as I do what I REALLY feel like doing, I'm super motivated. For instance, right now I feel like writing this post. I was thinking about writing this post on my way home today. I was really inspired to share this thought process with y'all on here, and so that's what I'm doing. While it may be a minor actionable step towards generating income, it's still something, because those who read it may either click on my website in my signature, or download my free eBook from reading this post. However, if nothing happens other then the fact that people read this post and reply, then that's all that matters!

I have set a goal for myself....And that is to add $10,000 to my account through entrepreneurial means (selling my products and/or services). As I said, I don't need this money. I'm not struggling to pay my bills, and once I get the money the only goal I have is to treat my roommates and I to an awesome night out where I pay cab fare and for drinks all night....I have no problem dropping $1000 for a sweet-ass night out with my friends, especially those that pay me rent each month...which allows me to be able to live the lifestyle that I do.

So that's my goal....make $10,000....treat my 3 roommates and myself to a sweet ass night out once I do so....pat myself on the back for achieving my goal.

For more about money manifestation, check out this article from Steve Pavlina's website: How to Manifest Money. Ironically, I had already been overwhelmed with this inspiration and "playful" attitude towards generating money BEFORE I read this article. Actually, I lied....I do remember reading this article several months ago, back when I was still working at my job....but back then I really put no thought into it. Now that I'm self-employed and motivated towards achieving a goal, I decided to reread that article....I seem to have the correct mindset that he is suggesting in that article.

Anyway, enough New-Age bullshit....onto the actionable step.

Part 2 - The Actionable Step

Get a PayPal account.

Seriously, if you don't have one...do it. This ESPECIALLY applies to those who are self-employed, or looking for ways to "make money on the internet".

I've had a PayPal account for the last 10 years or so ever since I purchased my first item on eBay way back when, but I only signed up because it was required by eBay. That was how I had to make my payments.

It wasn't until just recently that I started to realize the fact that having a PayPal account is a two-way street. Not only does it allow me to make payments, but it allows me to RECEIVE payments as well. I'm just now realizing the incredible potential of this....

With my money affirmations, the one part that wasn't making sense to me was "Money flows into my account easily", and therefore I still felt as if I was "lying to myself" in these affirmations. Well, of course money wasn't going to just flow into my account if no one else was going to put it in there other then myself....and where was I going to get this "easy money" from anyway?

That's of course referring to my savings and checking account that no one else has access to other then myself.

But once it occurred to me that PayPal is the way to allow OTHER PEOPLE to put money into my account, the wheels in my head really started turning. This may be old news to some of you, and it should've been obvious to me as well....However it wasn't, because I have always lived the life of "A guy who goes to work for his money, and only uses services such as PayPal to buy things from other people."

I'm now beginning to think like an entrepreneur, and therefore I'm realizing that PayPal is the way to "have money flow to me". It really is just another account that I have access to, but unlike my other accounts....other people can make deposits into it as well! It's so ridiculously simple and obvious, but I've been overlooking it all along. Even when I first created my website, and setup my method of payment as PayPal, I still didn't really realize that my options were unlimited as to how many other ways I could bring money in.

So now that I know that I have an account that people can deposit money into, guess where my head is at? Exactly - How to get people to put money into my account.

The answer is by having products to sell.

1.) My website has eBooks on it for sale, and any sales that I make go directly into my PayPal account.

2.) I uploaded my books onto Smashwords, and any books that I sell on there get directly deposited into my PayPal account.

3.) When I sell things on eBay (or other online store where you can sell products in exchange for a small commission fee), the money goes right into my account.

4.) Mail-in rebates....Those things that no one ever takes advantage of, because it's a major pain in the ass to fill out all the shit, mail something in, and then wait 4 - 6 weeks....Many times those rebates can be handled online, and the money can be entered into your PayPal account.

5.) Any other products I decide to sell on my website

6.) Affiliate marketing

...And that's really just scratching the surface. PayPal is basically becoming just as widely accepted as credit cards are (actually, it's probably been that way, but I just never paid attention). Knowing that I now have a means for people to pay me over the internet (which essentially gives me access to....6 Billion people I believe), I now have a means to an end. I now know how to direct my learning and research (assuming that's what I feel like doing) such that I can figure out new avenues for people to deposit money into my account.

It's fucking awesome!

Discuss!

Love this! Thanks for sharing your energy.

ancestor

Comment

Thanks for the wisdom Newman...

I'm currently running my own business (the first one I've run by myself), as well as trying to learn how to get a second going. There's certainly a lot of learning involved, and these ideas are ones I find to be very helpful. I hadn't even really thought about PayPal, but since some of my future-income is going to come from (probably) books and (definitely) audio tracks, it makes a ton of sense--your mentality on "but how will they pay me?"

That's a really big puzzle piece...needless to say I just set one up a few minutes ago.

Thanks brotha!

Comment

Yes, it's so seemingly obvious....you need a way to actually get paid!

Paypal charges 2.9% + $0.30 on every deposit that someone (other then you) makes into your account, which may be more expensive then other means of setting up an incoming internet account, but it's well worth it in that PayPal has the repuation that people are going to trust. People will know that they are paying securely.

Anyway, once I started having money come into this new account from a few different sources, I suddenly started getting extremely motivated again to actually start making some cheddah!!!

Comment

Hey, great post. I am up to page 67 in your book, Artist's and Musician's Guide. So far I am loving it. Thanks.

In the past I was investigating online business and stumbled across a web article that analyzed various online payment methods and PayPal was the cheapest for small time operators. Other methods like a shopping cart for your site have lower transaction costs but the fixed monthly fee kills you unless you have large volume, and those systems would only work on the specific site you sign up. Add in the ability to use for everything from eBay and Amazon to having people pay you off that way from their account, and there is nothing better. And it is easy to link it to your bank account so you can transfer money easily.
          Last edited by Silvertree; 02-28-2013, 11:43 PM. Reason: Poor proof reading
          The older the violin, the sweeter the music. Augustus McCrae

Comment

Hey Newman,

As you know, I'm on a similar path... I recently quit one of my jobs to have more time to focus on writing and marketing. I still have a half-time job that I really enjoy and so now I have the best of both worlds: steady income on one side and free time to build up my business on the other.

Smashwords is great! I just got paid for Q4 2012 and it turns out to be about the same as what I've been earning on Amazon. So it's a nice extra.

As far as paypal goes, here's a new idea: http://bigcartel.com

You can sign up for a free online store with 5 products, and basically it's just a (really nice-looking) shopping cart option that sends money to your paypal account. It's a great feeling to get home after walking around or going to the bar on the weekend and seeing money has just APPEARED in my account while I was out.

If you want to put up more products eventually, they have a monthly fee, but like I said, startup is free.

Manifesting money is great... I've got income coming in from 7 or 8 things now. Some of them are small, some of them are bigger. But it makes me feel like a new man! It's a huge sense of possibility.

Kaktus.

Comment

I want to achieve something similar to this, having a passive income and working on projects/freelancing rather than having a 9-5 job.

My main problem so far has been inspiration and motivation to work on something that does not guarantee a pay. But I noticed I get way more done when I think to myself that "this is easy, I can do it", I like that thought as it usually don't feel like I'm lying to myself.

So basically what you are doing at the moment:
              • Working as a musician (project/freelancing)
              • Selling eBooks (passive income)
              • Free rent (buddies)
              I think the most impressive of above points is the free rent. How did you get someone to pay it for you?

Edit: My current goal is to have two different homes in two different cities, but the problem as I see it is the double rent and the airplane tickets in between, which will be a pain in the ass to pay until I get a good cash flow going (which probably will take some time to be a realist). Any suggestions on how to solve it?

Edit 2: Part-time work where you can decide yourself how much and when you want to work is great, that's what I'm doing at the moment so I can be free and go on vacation or work on a side project whenever I want. The con though is that the pay is shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertree View Post
                Hey, great post. I am up to page 67 in your book, Artist's and Musician's Guide. So far I am loving it. Thanks.

In the past I was investigating online business and stumbled across a web article that analyzed various online payment methods and PayPal was the cheapest for small time operators. Other methods like a shopping cart for your site have lower transaction costs but the fixed monthly fee kills you unless you have large volume, and those systems would only work on the specific site you sign up. Add in the ability to use for everything from eBay and Amazon to having people pay you off that way from their account, and there is nothing better. And it is easy to link it to your back account so you can transfer money easily.
                My thoughts exactly...it's great for a small-timer like myself. Glad you like the book so far!

Originally posted by donkaktus View Post
                Hey Newman,

As you know, I'm on a similar path... I recently quit one of my jobs to have more time to focus on writing and marketing. I still have a half-time job that I really enjoy and so now I have the best of both worlds: steady income on one side and free time to build up my business on the other.

Smashwords is great! I just got paid for Q4 2012 and it turns out to be about the same as what I've been earning on Amazon. So it's a nice extra.

As far as paypal goes, here's a new idea: http://bigcartel.com

You can sign up for a free online store with 5 products, and basically it's just a (really nice-looking) shopping cart option that sends money to your paypal account. It's a great feeling to get home after walking around or going to the bar on the weekend and seeing money has just APPEARED in my account while I was out.

If you want to put up more products eventually, they have a monthly fee, but like I said, startup is free.

Manifesting money is great... I've got income coming in from 7 or 8 things now. Some of them are small, some of them are bigger. But it makes me feel like a new man! It's a huge sense of possibility.

Kaktus.
                I will check that link out, thanks! Yes sir, having money coming from several sources is great for sure! I think that every successful entrepreneur started out with just a few trickles of incoming cash flow and gradually increased them over time, learning things along the way.

Originally posted by Stargazer View Post
                I want to achieve something similar to this, having a passive income and working on projects/freelancing rather than having a 9-5 job.

My main problem so far has been inspiration and motivation to work on something that does not guarantee a pay. But I noticed I get way more done when I think to myself that "this is easy, I can do it", I like that thought as it usually don't feel like I'm lying to myself.

So basically what you are doing at the moment:
                • Working as a musician (project/freelancing)
                • Selling eBooks (passive income)
                • Free rent (buddies)
                I think the most impressive of above points is the free rent. How did you get someone to pay it for you?

Edit: My current goal is to have two different homes in two different cities, but the problem as I see it is the double rent and the airplane tickets in between, which will be a pain in the ass to pay until I get a good cash flow going (which probably will take some time to be a realist). Any suggestions on how to solve it?

Edit 2: Part-time work where you can decide yourself how much and when you want to work is great, that's what I'm doing at the moment so I can be free and go on vacation or work on a side project whenever I want. The con though is that the pay is shit.
                It's not "free rent". I own a house, and they are renting my spare bedrooms off me. I charge a flat rate (so they don't have to pay utilities), and my rate is cheap in comparison to how much it would cost to rent somewhere else in my area. I used to have only two spare bedrooms, but I turned my basement into a third bedroom. Now I get 3 rent payments each month, and I have people that are happy with the price and plan on staying awhile.

I've also been selling things on eBay in order to bring in some more monthly income.

As for your goal....well, you have to plan out exactly what you want to do, and you need to figure out the actionable steps that you will need to take in order to get there. I don't know your situation completely, but if that's what you really want, just make that shit happen!

My current goal is to have a $10,000 month....I will make that shit happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman301 View Post

It's not "free rent". I own a house, and they are renting my spare bedrooms off me. I charge a flat rate (so they don't have to pay utilities), and my rate is cheap in comparison to how much it would cost to rent somewhere else in my area. I used to have only two spare bedrooms, but I turned my basement into a third bedroom. Now I get 3 rent payments each month, and I have people that are happy with the price and plan on staying awhile.
                  Not trying to be overcritical, but it seems to me like this ^ forms a fair chunk of your income. In order to afford owning a house that you can rent out to other tenants, did you not need the money from your 9 to 5 in the first place? Can you see what I'm getting at?

I ask because owning property and becoming a landlord is a goal of mine and whilst I do have savings, I do not have enough to buy anything outright. In order to get a mortgage I'd have to have a 9 to 5 too, which kinda defeats the object considering I'm interested in being self-employed.

IOW, is it necessary to toil in standard employment for so many years in order to be sustainable when you decide to become your own boss?

(not trying to be cynical, just thinking about the practicalities of my situation)

Comment

Yes, it does make up a good amount of my income. I think I put down about $15,000 in order to get my house. So figure out how long it may take you to do that same thing. I think I was working at my 9 to 5 for about 3 years before I purchased my house (although, I could have moved out earlier if didn't spend two years renting. I made sure that I had $10,000 in the bank before moving out of my parents at age 22.). Technically, I could have been a home owner, and therefore in the same situation as I am now after only working at my 9 to 5 for just over a year.

However, I stayed there for 7 years. I ended up leaving with $20,000 saved in the bank, which was very comforting, but I haven't really had to dip into that much. In all honesty, I should have had a lot more then that saved, but like most people I was living just below my means. In other words, no matter what amount of money I was making, I would have spent most of it, and saved minimal.

The #1 thing that allowed me to do what I did, and live how I'm currently living is MINDSET (which is always the #1 thing in any endeavor in life). The instant that I started realizing that I MAY be able to SOMEHOW "get by" without working a real job, then the wheels started turning in my head. The more and more I thought about it, the more and more I began to realize that I may actually be able to go through with it. Of course I was still filled with doubt and uncertainty as to how long I'd last without that weekly paycheck....

But it's now been more then 9 months of this lifestyle, and I am completely and fully adapted to it. I am so used to not getting that nice paycheck every week. It's funny how adaptable of creatures we are...you just learn to make due with what you have. I make much less money now, but I feel just as "rich" as ever. Money still has very little importance in my life.

On top of all that, I'm now making a serious effort to save 20% of all income that I make, and therefore I'm only living off 80% of the money I'm pulling in. And you know what? I'm still making THAT work as well! Back when I was rolling in the dough, I never really thought I could live off just 80% of my total income, but once I changed my mindset to "ya, I could get by off just 80% of my income (which is much less then when I had a job)", I adapted and made it work!

I now have FIVE separate accounts:

1.) My checking
                    2.) My interest-bearing savings, which is where the 20% of my income goes
                    3.) My Paypal account, which is where money comes in from my Internet endeavors
                    4.) My mortgage, which is essentially like an interest-bearing savings account
                    5.) My retirement fund, which came from the 401-K that I had while I worked for 7 years, which I don't ever even think about or look at

I currently have 2 dollars in my pocket, and won't be getting paid again until this Saturday night when I play my gig (which will be about $130, and much will be spent on drinking ), yet I still feel like I'm just as well off financially as when I had a full-time job that paid me about $730/week, gave me nice bonuses twice per year, and had the whole "benefits" package.

My advice to you, or anyone else who would like to take the plunge into freedom....Just fucking do it!!!! Make a plan of course. It doesn't have to be crazy and elaborate, just make a vague plan like I did (step 1 - quit job, step 2 - find roommates, step 3 - adapt), and go for it!!!

My plan involved utilizing my house in order to be able to cover my mortgage. However, if you don't have a mortgage to pay, then you don't have to worry about covering it! You just need to figure out a way to get by, utilizing the resources available to you. It will be weird and "unconventional" for the first few months, but you will grow into it.

It's like leaving a long-term relationship as a betaized AFC, and then diving into the player lifestyle. It's weird at first, but over time it becomes your new reality.

My reality is now that "I'm self-employed, and I'm doing great!" To others that are brainwashed into thinking that the rat race is the only way, I appear to be either crazy, unemployed, a bum, or a number of other labels.

I could go on for hours about this, but despite all the doubts and resistance you may have...You really do create your own reality.

Comment

I would add. Learning how to cook yourself nutritious basic food and investing in a few pots and pans is another foundation of living cheap. For the same price as frozen food or less, and way less than any restaurant, you can eat much better, but it does takes some time and a bit of investing in tools and basic spices and standard ingredients.

And I should add, you may have to eat a few less than five star training meals. Like everything else, you get better with practice.
                      The older the violin, the sweeter the music. Augustus McCrae

Comment

I've only just scanned the thread but I'm going to reiterate my advice that every man on this forum, even if you're just a lurker, should have his own small business.

Even if it's just a small business on the side.

Even if you already have a job as a full-time employee of a company.

Even if your small business only makes $100 a month.

Having your own small business is the most masculine, outcome independent, confidence-building, self esteem-building, empowering, life-enhancing, ass-kicking thing you can possibly do with your time. (Yes, getting laid often is critical too.)

With the web starting your own small business has never been easier. Do it.
                        How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
                        The Blackdragon Blog

Comment

BD, check out my last post in this thread, where I talk about the mindset of switching from "employee" to "self-employed". I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on it. You have a free eBook that I read a couple of years ago which talks about this exact thing, but I forget what's its called. It was about basically how much different the thinking involved is from that of a typical employee.

Anyway, one particular part of that book said something like "If you aren't married, and you don't have any kids yet...NOW is the time to go for it. It's much harder once there are other people that you are responsible for." Taking just that from that eBook is a large part of why I decided to go for it. It would be one of those things that I would have always regretted not going for.

Comment

I think a really important part of getting into the entrepreneur game is to know what you want.

Reason is simple: there are MANY different ways to generate wealth, and it's not only determined by how much time and effort you invest into generating that wealth. So if you start out in one path, it may not be the most ideal path to get you where you actually want to be.

Ex: Many people open brick & mortar stores with the hopes of being their own boss. What ends up happening is their business doesn't satisfy a need, and with the HUGE overhead that comes along with B&M, they end up working constantly for less than what they could earn at an actual job. This person has created a prison for themselves, which is—especially on this board—exactly what we want to prevent!

On the other hand, it's VERY possible to create an internet business in two months that's capable of generating $20,000-$100,000+ per month BY YOURSELF or with one employee.

And, the funny thing is, the B&M business owner making $50k/year will almost GUARANTEED work more than the internet business owner!

So that's why I think it's very important to decide what you want, then get knowledge in that particular avenue.

For me, I know what I want. I want to create an internet business that's capable of selling for at least $10mm in a lump sum, then take that $10mm and invest it in mostly-passive investments. Think of it this way... $10mm invested in a 1%/yr investment is $100k per year COMPLETELY PASSIVE.

Of course, 1% is relatively low for an investment, and I know people who easily get 4%-6%/yr. That's $400k-$600k respectively, COMPLETELY PASSIVE. Very experienced investors can get 10%+, but as always, with these increased rewards the risk is substantially higher.

This is real passive income, not like SEO or affiliate marketing. Because with these other avenues, unless you create a REAL BRAND that's capable of surviving for the long-term, you're at the whims of Google and other affiliates.

Not to say affiliate marketing is bad – not by any means. With affiliate marketing, you can get to $10k/month relatively easily. And there are outliers who are making high five figures per month with affiliate marketing. Just remember that the BIG MONEY in affiliate marketing is made in product creation (what Newman is doing). And if you want to get into this game, you need to continually create products and organize massive launches around these products.

I do think that a lot of people get into the affiliate/internet marketing game because they view it as "more realistic". They view starting a $1mm+ internet company as something that's very risky and takes a lot of luck. This is true to some extent, but the reality is you can easily minimize risk and generate your own luck. Therefore, if you know what you want, and what you want is to REALLY RETIRE, spending significant time on affiliate marketing may not be the best use of time, because it's very unlikely to retire you.

I know when I was first getting into this game, the figure of $10mm scared the SHIT out of me. Even the idea of $1,000,000 was so obscure that I couldn't even comprehend what it would mean in my life, or how I could possibly amass such a sum.

The reality is, like I mentioned above, you can put in LESS work than someone opening a brick & mortar business, or doing many different types of internet marketing, and make a LOT more if you know what you're doing. Which comes as a result of knowing exactly what you want, then pursuing knowledge that can lead you to your end goal.

Another thing I'd like to mention, is when you get into this game, a lot of people will scream "JUST TAKE ACTION!!!!" over and over again.

I agree with them... but only if you don't know if you're capable of taking action yet.

For newbies, the thought of launching any business is pretty difficult to comprehend. So at this point, it's very good to just dive into something—anything—just to prove to yourself that you are capable of taking action, failing, and learning from failures to improve your overall business.

However, once you've proven that you can take action, the focus should be on getting knowledge as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Because this is what's going to allow you to reach your goal. Saying I want to retire on $10mm and actually doing it are very different things. And even though it might not take a HUGE amount of work, it does take a HUGE amount of knowledge to make it happen.

The reality is, the world of wealth creation is actually very large and very deep. There are people making HUGE amounts of money doing the craziest things that 99.999999999% of people can't even comprehend. This is why it's so important to know the lifestyle that you want to create, and then focus all your energy on gaining knowledge FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE ALREADY LIVING THIS LIFESTYLE.

This is the most important part. When you're looking to gain knowledge, find someone who is already living the life you want, and then do whatever you can to learn from them!

In many cases, it's much easier to find someone who's living your ideal lifestyle than to find the knowledge that will allow you to live that lifestyle yourself. In these cases, the most efficient path is to learn directly from that person, as they will—in the vast majority of cases—tell you everything you want to know on the subject.

We've been brought up on the belief that being an entrepreneur is "dangerous" or "risky". In reality, it's just like anything else in life... it carries both risks and rewards, and it's very possible to minimize risk and maximize rewards.

Figure out what you want, gain rapid knowledge in this area, take massive action.

Comment

^^^Excellent post my man!

You are so right that your actions should be taken based on the right reasons. I always had this strong desire to be "self-employed", although I never really know exactly if go about doing that. I knew that I didn't want to run a business with a bunch of employees, but other then that I had no clue as to how I'd pursue such a lifestyle....

But then I just realized, "Hey I don't feel like doing the 9 to 5 thing anymore because I hate it. What I really want to do is to just be able to sleep late everyday, play music whenever I want, and basically just live a life of almost complete freedom (I say almost because I'm still required to show up at every gig I play as well as band practice)." So I just simply quit my job and did it! I instantly realized that my life was exactly how it was supposed to be...I changed from the wrong path to the right one.

I'm not a millionaire yet, nor do I even know if I'm taking the correct actions in order to become one, but what I do know is that what I'm doing now (which is just pretty much doing whatever I want), I would love to do for the rest of my life...and I will!

As far as I'm concerned, "retirement" for me means jack shit. I plan on living exactly how I am now for the rest of my life...I wrote a blog post about this when I first quit my job here. I'm currently working towards building a completely passive income system which covers all my bills plus some, but I can't honestly say that anything that I'm currently doing with my life right now in order to cover the bills is really all that bad! My life pretty much kicks ass now that I don't work anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X