Inspiring movie: Her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiring movie: Her

So I just watched the movie "Her", and wow, this is probably the best movie I've ever seen about emotional connection. It almost makes getting laid useless compared to getting an emotional connection. Makes you think how pointless lay counts are. It also proves that whether something is real or fake is irrelevant, but all that counts is the mutual feelings, present moment and growth from the process. Lots of insight in this movie as well about our past being nothing but stories, very Brent Smithy (aka Alan Watts aka Zen).

10/10

Plot (highlight to see)

"Theodore is a lonely man in the final stages of his divorce. When he's not working as a letter writer, his down time is spent playing video games and occasionally hanging out with friends. He decides to purchase the new OS1, which is advertised as the world's first artificially intelligent operating system, "It's not just an operating system, it's a consciousness," the ad states. Theodore quickly finds himself drawn in with Samantha, the voice behind his OS1. As they start spending time together they grow closer and closer and eventually find themselves in love. Having fallen in love with his OS, Theodore finds himself dealing with feelings of both great joy and doubt. As an OS, Samantha has powerful intelligence that she uses to help Theodore in ways others hadn't, but how does she help him deal with his inner conflict of being in love with an OS?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1798709/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Featurette (doesn't give plot away)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PslR-52MEw4

Trailer (gives plot away)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4

From the trailer and featurette this seems like a great film. But I find the undertone very sad, depressing and prophetic.
    Yea it does show how important an emotional connection is, but it disturbs me that this man is getting an emotional connection from what looks like a phone?? I have no problem with people getting an emotional connection from music, literature, art etc. But it's not the same as believing you're in a relationship with someone, as this man appears to be doing.

It seems like the film is painting a positive picture of such love affairs with technology. And that's the most disturbing thing about this film. Yes you can have an emotional connection such as this, but it certainly doesn't take the connection deeper, the physical element is so important. So I guess the film was also purposefully wistful in that it does seem to highlight the emptiness and frustration of such non-physical connections.

This is not ok. I dread to live in an age where robots become our substitutes for other people, no matter how advanced, their reactions and 'feeling' will all be random to an extent. They're all programmed and no matter how sensitive the responses and random the reactions it all seems very sinister. I do think years down the line this may be the norm. I mean I for one spend so much time on my phone and do jokingly refer to it as my child to my friends lol, I read in the paper how they're developing iPhones that will mimick human voices and thought patterns and will be marketed as 'a personalised best friend'. But no, this is wrong and should not be glorified or be presented as something acceptable.

It's also got me analysing my interaction with people online and whilst I get carried away and think that people whom I've never met I consider my best friends, at least it's a human being typing in the words.

I will watch this film and maybe pop back here to update what I think if differently. WOW
    And what happened to Joaquin Phoenix he used to be soooo hot

Comment

You completely missed the point of this movie.

People are getting so plugged-in to their silly iPhone devices that they've completely lost the capacity to have real face-to-face interactions with other humans, and would rather spend their time masturbating with Apple, Inc.

This movie is the logical conclusion of what happens to Omega males when the option of not having to talk to real women becomes a possibility.

It should DEFINITELY be inspiring--to get your ass outside, turn off your phone and talk to real people.

Comment

Originally posted by ChitownMaverick View Post
        It should DEFINITELY be inspiring--to get your ass outside, turn off your phone and talk to real people.
        Yes you're right, I mean it's inspired me to actually talk to more real life people today, I just hope people don't get the wrong idea about this film and start thinking a relationship with their phone is ok

Comment

Ok what I'm trying to say is that this film actually shows that it is possible to an extent to have a big emotional connection with this fake person, and even if the undertone is that this is unhealthy and empty, the lead character is still showed as being able to get so much out of this relationship, and then people will slowly, on a subconscious level internalise that this deep connection with a piece of technology is silly but it can happen. I will watch the full film and I hope that towards the end at least there is a strong message that relationships like this are not on.

Comment

This movie is a GREAT example of exactly what NOT to do in a relationship. Phoenix plays the neediest, lamest boyfriend I have ever seen. He is constantly verbalising and analysing the relationship and getting into arguments. I watched it with my girlfriend, who like many girls is needy and constantly trying to get me into relationship talk and arguments, and even she said he was the gayest dude she'd ever seen.

Another absolute shit movie I've seen recently is About Time. It's basically an apology to spineless, Disney betaness.

And you have Thanks for Sharing, who tells us people having sex (or masturbating) outside a committed relationship have a disease: sex addiction, which is even worse than alcoholism.

Oh and Last Vegas. Yeah don't watch this either.

Puke. And re-puke.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude909 View Post
              This movie is a GREAT example of exactly what NOT to do in a relationship.
              yep, in that sense most romantic hollywood movies are a great teaching tool

Comment

Originally posted by Dude909 View Post
                This movie is a GREAT example of exactly what NOT to do in a relationship. Phoenix plays the neediest, lamest boyfriend I have ever seen. He is constantly verbalising and analysing the relationship and getting into arguments. I watched it with my girlfriend, who like many girls is needy and constantly trying to get me into relationship talk and arguments, and even she said he was the gayest dude she'd ever seen.

Another absolute shit movie I've seen recently is About Time. It's basically an apology to spineless, Disney betaness.

And you have Thanks for Sharing, who tells us people having sex (or masturbating) outside a committed relationship have a disease: sex addiction, which is even worse than alcoholism.

Oh and Last Vegas. Yeah don't watch this either.

Puke. And re-puke.
                Hhahahhaha. So how do you really feel about that, dude?

Comment

1) We're also programmed, it's called DNA. Robots are no different once they are able to self-learn. It's called recursive learning, or meta learning. The definition of consciousness is self-awareness. The movie shows that in order to have "feelings" you need consciousness, and that's what makes someone real. Not their body, not what they're made out of, not their programming. This is a classic Taoist tale, read "Is God A Taoist" by Smullyan, which proves that once consciousness is born (aka one is self-aware), you are already stuck in the bind of "existence", you can't go back.

2) Yes, he is "beta", but he's also a love writer, and I thought this was an excellent movie on how to be emotional, and build an emotional connection. If you could learn to do that while maintaining alpha values, I think you're unstoppable. The lesson here is to not suppress your emotional/vulnerable side in order to protect yourself from pangs of rejection and the reality of women, but instead to embrace both your emotions AND the reality, and the pain you go through as a result of exposing yourself, is where true growth is. Spoiler--- At the end of the movie is where he grows, and he no longer cares about attachment and ownership of women, but the memories and story and growth that was formed. He was conflicted if emotional connection was genuine or not because she was in love with 600 other people, again its the idea of "is this real or not?" that was causing conflict. But yes, the experience is real, despite her loving 600 people, and it doesn't subtract her love for him. This is a perfect example of polyamory (loving many)--- Basically the lesson is to face and grow and not to avoid and suppress. How many guys in the PU community are just avoiding/suppressing their emotional side as to not get hurt, or use the word "oneitis" to keep their emotions at distance, to not allow themselves to get invested.

3) Whether people are plugged in or not is irrelevant. It's not like people talk on the subway, or anything, they're still on their phones. Connections with people are still formed, that's why he has friends. The only problem (which is not really a problem) is that his OS-love, didn't shit-test him, whereas his wife did. But his wife's shit-tests were born out of her own selfishness, so the OS taught him more about life and himself than his wife did. She treated him like shit, she basically said "Why can't you deal with my shit? you should be able to deal with my shit" and then attacked him for it out of jealousy. That's why the ending of the movie is important, he gets the final epiphany/realization and becomes non-attached to the idea of monogamy (or one love) and accepts things as they are.

I would say the PUA example of both an Alpha and someone who has mastered emotions/growth is Zan Perrion. Whereas I think Mystery, Tyler, and even Brent Smith, are avoiding emotional pain (and growth) by keeping women at a distance.

Comment

PS: "Her" is also a movie that sucks, big cock. I haven't watched it and won't.

Comment

Just remember, all this man-computer love and man-robot love and man-doll love shit is just a tiny sign of things to come.

In a few decades Her will be considered one of the most accurate future-predicting movies.
                      How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
                      The Blackdragon Blog

Comment

People need to watch the Star Trek Next Generation story arc Data-Lore. Sex robots will become more and more realistic, but as they are given more human behavior traits in order to make them more realistic, they will become just like real women except a thousand times more powerful.

Be careful what you wish for.
                        The older the violin, the sweeter the music. Augustus McCrae

Comment

ST, or we'll have holograms like in the movie 6th day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NFfEUF7viQ

Some other futuristic movies I like that could be accurate

- Artificial Intelligence by Steven Spielberg
                          - Minority Report with Tom Cruise (another amazing movie)
                          - Blade Runner (One of my favourites!)
                          - Gattaca
                          - Cloud Atlas
                          - Children of Men (Fascinating!!)

Less realistic ones, but more fun to watch
                          - 5th Element
                          - District 9
                          - 6th day
                          - K-pax
                          - Equilibrium
                          - Moon
                          - Total Recall (both versions)