Amazing 'inner game' debunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing 'inner game' debunk

Ive made many attempts at explaining the fallacy of 'inner game', but its been really hard to find the words to make myself understood.
    But this guy.. wow - just wow - what a brilliant way to explain it. Check it out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/getdiscipli...t_you_need_is/

(On a semi-related note, here is a 4 min vid debunking affirmations and 'positive thinking' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB3oxye8Kd8 )

Man ijjjji, throw everything out you think. We are waiting to get your opinion on that topic. What is inner game? what is not? What is missundertanding etc........ everything. Really wonderful attitudes shine through your posts regarding this topic. Even it's not understandable and structured yet people can help and ask.

Comment

Last week's episode of "natural debunked" has ended along with the prior week's "confidence debunked." This week we feature "inner game" being debunked. Next week its "attraction debunked" and the summer season will end mid-july with the all-encompassing "PU debunked, the only way to really fuck girls is to not fuck them at all."

Comment

Reminds me of the kata debate in martial arts
        Do you drill in a kata full of moves you don't understand
        Or do you only do the kata once the moves are perfected individually?
        (you deconstruct the kata into pieces, perfecting parts all the time, then put it back together to see how it fits)

There is also a debate about top down learning vs bottom up learning
        Bottom up learning is taking one strand or thread tto learn at a time, becoming somewhat competent thhen moving to another
        Top down learning is trying to grasp the larger picture all at once, so that the patterns of whats optimal and suboptimal become apparent quicker
        (I do bottom up learning with things unlearrnable except by direct interaction with ideas external to my own, I do top down learrning when inn an area where direct interaction with ideas doesnt give new information)

Personally, I train my martial arts by locating frustration points in my movements and investigating them to sort them out.
        I work on it till the frustration is released.
        Initially I learn a form, the body resists the form, so then I reorganise it

But I remember the moment/s I fully mastered fighting forms
        I came up with AEF
        Awareness
        Emotion
        Form

My awareness would heighten in the fight,
        Emotions would develop, like musical notes, telling me a punch is here, a flailing limb is there, causing me to start adjusting emotionally tto the threat
        Form would start being shaped by how I overcame the pressure of the situation

Miyamoto musashi said something like, people see a punch but they don't necessarily percieve it
        Generally people arent aware of things, so they dont REACT to them, and thusly form is not connected to REALITY

The form has to connect with reality via heightened perception of what is actually going on.
        If you don't have that, external technique is wooden.

REDDIT: At its core, chasing motivation is insistence on the infantile fantasy that we should only be doing things we feel like doing. The problem is then framed thus: “How do I get myself to feel like doing what I have rationally decided to do?”. Bad.

The proper question is “How do I make my feelings inconsequential and do the things I consciously want to do without being a little bitch about it?”.

The point is to cut the link between feelings and actions, and do it anyway. You get to feel good and buzzed and energetic and eager afterwards.
        I find its better to move into the task being enjoyable/easy
        Discipline is an intermediate step (you can discipline yyourself into being a workaholic who enjoys work)

Focusing on specific parts of the task, and slowly immersing yourself in the task is the most effective, when you lack mastery of it..

But to get the mastery you require a connection

I remembeer this fight really vividly, where my forearm started glowing and buzzing,
        And whenever it blocked a strike or a flailing limb the other persons entire body went limp and just moved like a rag doll
        I was like catching peoples fist in mid air, and hooking punches with my bicept
        It was a really bizarre experience which changed my view of martial arts being IMPOSSIBLE to perfect past human error, to realising a lot of the human error could be utterly bypassed if your connection to your body was high enough

I thusly then trained to conect my body to thought and feeling, to bypass mechanical failure of trained/drilled technique

And then drilled/trained with that new ability to assure its effectiveness

I'm sure you guys do similar right?
        Deconstruct, perfect, reconstruct
        Learn certain threads, overview larger picture
        Focus on certain partss of the task, immerse in them
        Try new forms, find them cumbersome, adapt them
        Investigate a better connection to your technique and reality
        Use that enhanced connection to drill in your optimum ideas and favorite forms

Comment

Originally posted by thecostofsuccess View Post
          I'm sure you guys do similar right?
          Deconstruct, perfect, reconstruct
          Learn certain threads, overview larger picture
          Focus on certain partss of the task, immerse in them
          Try new forms, find them cumbersome, adapt them
          Investigate a better connection to your technique and reality
          Use that enhanced connection to drill in your optimum ideas and favorite forms
          Yep, that's it. And this process would appear endless at this point, to me at least. You even have to return to breaking down and re-drilling that which was once instinct after a certain amount of time. You hear/remember/see/experience something you did several years ago, and are like "motherfucker that's brilliant, why don't I do that? Wait that's ME, eight years ago, why don't I know that anymore!" Being in top form is a never ending task lol.

Comment

Originally posted by pureevil View Post

Yep, that's it. And this process would appear endless at this point, to me at least. You even have to return to breaking down and re-drilling that which was once instinct after a certain amount of time. You hear/remember/see/experience something you did several years ago, and are like "motherfucker that's brilliant, why don't I do that? Wait that's ME, eight years ago, why don't I know that anymore!" Being in top form is a never ending task lol.
            Yup
            Always making the payoff more pure, enjoyable, or styled to a purpose
            Its a nice way to live though

Better than when you are "pain in the ass" moding it
            And cant string those actions together if your life depended on it
            (shudders)

Comment

But inner game isnt only for motivation or ?
              or me it was always also chasing states and feelings like security, confidence, success ,that "BIG FAT OLD CEO" feeling, and the feeling of What I'm doing works. through thinking the right things.

Comment

Yeah Beckstar, the Idea of Inner Game comes in a lot of flavors, but they all boil down to the same air castle/fantasy quid pro quo.. I felt the linked post had a 'punch line' that work universally for a lot of them (or at least the ones commonly discussed).

So big point here, is that once you know 99% that X is what needs to happen, you need to stop hoping for a 'better moment' and just go. That all the pro-action emotions are byproducts of action. That they are dominos in the middle of a chain, but the starting domino is action itself..
                Originally posted by ijjjji View Post
                The process of finding X, is still super valid to discuss though. Personally, Im in favor of not rushing that part. As in, a bit of perfectionism can add a lot of value.. Like cozy is talking about in regard to MA. Besides, doing a sloppy job of finding X is a cause of procrastination in itself (Because many think they are procrastinating, when the truth is they failed to find an X actually worth doing. So their heart will never be in it.)

Comment

ijjjji What do you think about that statement: It is not about getting over insecurities,anxiety, nerviousity. It's about beeing functional/performing/ working during that states.

Comment

Good statement!

"The show must go on" type of attitude..

Comment

Working...
                    X