Understanding Maslows hierachy of needs and the pyramids of Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Maslows hierachy of needs and the pyramids of Egypt

This post is an expansion of my response here https://nextasf.com/forum/nextasf/on...y-easier/page3

In this post I'm sharing insights I have gained through meditation, nothing which I've read anywhere else, just neurons which fired up in my brain and made connections.

Here is Maslows hierarchy of needs.

Do you know why the hierarchy is a pyramid, and not a square (equality) or a circle (universality), because pyramids represent competition, and not competition with others, but with yourself, bettering yourself. They represent hierarchy, meaning you have to work your way up to the top, work meaning sacrificing pleasure in order to better yourself.

The pyramids also represent a hierarchy, meaning NOT everyone gets to the top. Only the kings are on the top, most people die on their way to the top, or get distracted by shiny gems, so they lose sight of the top.

When one continues to work on himself, eventually one reaches the top. A pyramid also represents a mountain, because both a mountain and a pyramid have a peak.

Why is there an eye at the top of the peak, the eye of horus, or the eye of providence, or the all seeing eye?

Because when you're on the top, you have a birds eye view, you see everything, you see everything from a meta awareness level, that is you don't see FORMS, you see PROCESSES. Ever look out of a window of a landing airplane, and get that feeling where you see how everything works?

That's what happens when you're at the peak, you understand how everything works, how everything unfolds. You can look back at the path you took to get to the top, but also see the many other paths that you could have taken, some easier, some harder, some leading to pit falls and death. You see others walking up the mountain or the pyramid, some falling for traps, others taking longer than needed, and even others getting distracted and forgetting about their self-improvement.

This is why humans love climbing mount everest, it signifies our desire to reach the top, even if it means dying in the process, because otherwise life is meaningless.

Only the people at the bottom see forms, and believe them to be true but they are merely illusions, while the people at the peak see processes instead of forms, and know their truth.

Furthermore at the top of the pyramid is a tiny hole, this is the hole you're expected to escape out of to reach the gods, to ascend. It's a tiny hole because the margin for error is very small, it means you have to be so perfect and refined, otherwise you won't fit through the hole, which means only the people at the top can fit and escape out of this hole and ascend and attain nirvana. Just like a white beam of light hits a prism (process) and turns into different colours (forms), likewise the many forms can go back up the pyramid and back into a white light.

The two texts which scrape the surface of this truth the best is 1) The Enchiridion by the greek Epictectus and 2) The Dhammapada by the Buddah. (both of which occurred around the same time, I suspect have connection with each other in Gandhara (region in pakistan) which was once a Greek colony where the first Buddhist statues were made by the Greeks).

Without those two texts, modern psychology wouldn't exist today, you can trace it back yourself.

But like I said, these only scrape the surface, it goes much deeper, and you can only discover it for yourself through meditation.

I leave you with this, the full dhammapada to listen

Great post overall.

Do you know why the hierarchy is a pyramid, and not a square (equality) or a circle (universality), because pyramids represent competition, and not competition with others, but with yourself, bettering yourself. They represent hierarchy, meaning you have to work your way up to the top, work meaning sacrificing pleasure in order to better yourself.
    Never thought about shapes in this way and makes perfect sense. I would argue pyramids and life in fact mean competition, but also with other people as well. You forget to mention how the dollar bill symbol of the pyramid is also representative of the illuminati, which of course is symbolic of the elites being at the top of the pyramid and thus controlling the masses. I also call bullshit on work and sacrificing pleasure to get to this top of the pyramid realistically this is not the case and hasn't been the case for most of all eternity. Kings are born to the top of pyramids, some marry to other tops of pyramids and in essence humans did nothing to be at the top of all life on Earth other than being created, but these are just minor things and I take a lot away from this way of looking at life in that we are in essence fighting for the top of a pyramid.

The two texts which scrape the surface of this truth the best is 1) The Enchiridion by the greek Epictectus and 2) The Dhammapada by the Buddah. (both of which occurred around the same time, I suspect have connection with each other in Gandhara (region in pakistan) which was once a Greek colony where the first Buddhist statues were made by the Greeks).

Without those two texts, modern psychology wouldn't exist today, you can trace it back yourself.

But like I said, these only scrape the surface, it goes much deeper, and you can only discover it for yourself through meditation.
    Could you give a very brief summary of what these are and what we could get out of them if we wanted to go and learn more for ourselves?

Comment

I also call bullshit on work and sacrificing pleasure to get to this top of the pyramid realistically this is not the case and hasn't been the case for most of all eternity. Kings are born to the top of pyramids, some marry to other tops of pyramids and in essence humans

You are referring to status, I'm refering to spiritual development and self-actualization, two very seperate things. Someone can be born into a billionaire celeb family, like take for example Will Smith's kids or Warren Buffet's kids, but still have zero clue about the nature of reality and be no different mentally and spiritually than your average peasant.

The only way you can be born near the top of the pyramid is if you worked towards it in a previous life, like someone who has attained stream-entry enlightenment, but that's a whole bag and another topic for another thread. 99% of people are born at the bottom of the pyramid and have to move up to the pyramid over the course of their life or several life times. Ever met a kid that just "gets it"? And has a good temperament much like an adult, but in a child's body? Meanwhile his brother or sister who are nearly genetically identical to him and raised in the same environment are completely different in behaviour and attitude?

Some babies are born and are super calm, other babies are anxious as hell, it could be their environment in the wombs that caused that, or it could be even before they entered the womb, when they were just a sperm and an intention in their father's brain, or there could be more to the story.

Could you give a very brief summary of what these are and what we could get out of them if we wanted to go and learn more for ourselves?
      Enchiridion: http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html

I linked to a video of the dhammapada, there are many translations of it, my favourite one is by Thomas Bryon. http://www.insightflorida.org/uploads/dhammapada.pdf

In the world of ancient texts and philosophy, translations matter a lot, sometimes more than the text themselves.

Both these texts are ways of both viewing the world/reality and living in this world/reality. As you know there are many ways to live with various outcomes, you can be a criminal and end up in jail or worse, get killed, or you can be an addict, or you can be a businessman spend your life getting rich only to lose your health in the end, or you can be a religious fanatic and end up believing in some cult. So there's many ways to live life, and both Buddhism and Stoicism focus on the meta level of living life, such as how to view nature and how nature controls us, especially our minds.

My favourite part of the Enchiridion, which perfectly describes an enlightened person

Remember that you must behave in life as at a dinner party. Is anything brought around to you? Put out your hand and take your share with moderation. Does it pass by you? Don't stop it. Is it not yet come? Don't stretch your desire towards it, but wait till it reaches you. Do this with regard to children, to a wife, to public posts, to riches, and you will eventually be a worthy partner of the feasts of the gods. And if you don't even take the things which are set before you, but are able even to reject them, then you will not only be a partner at the feasts of the gods, but also of their empire. For, by doing this, Diogenes, Heraclitus and others like them, deservedly became, and were called, divine.
      However, an important note to add, knowledge is only 30% of the battle, it's very superficial. The true battle is attaining insights/experiences through meditation. It's only through meditation that your brain changes and you start to see things you never knew existed.

There are only two forms of meditations that actually work: vipassana and samadhi (jhanas). It depends purely on which one your brain inclines more to, some people can handle vipassana and some can handle samadhi. Vipassana leads to fast enlightenment, but can be very painful. Samadhi is slow, but is very joyful.

Hope that clarifies things.

Comment

You are referring to status, I'm refering to spiritual development and self-actualization, two very seperate things. Someone can be born into a billionaire celeb family, like take for example Will Smith's kids or Warren Buffet's kids, but still have zero clue about the nature of reality and be no different mentally and spiritually than your average peasant.

The only way you can be born near the top of the pyramid is if you worked towards it in a previous life, like someone who has attained stream-entry enlightenment, but that's a whole bag and another topic for another thread. 99% of people are born at the bottom of the pyramid and have to move up to the pyramid over the course of their life or several life times. Ever met a kid that just "gets it"? And has a good temperament much like an adult, but in a child's body? Meanwhile his brother or sister who are nearly genetically identical to him and raised in the same environment are completely different in behaviour and attitude?

Some babies are born and are super calm, other babies are anxious as hell, it could be their environment in the wombs that caused that, or it could be even before they entered the womb, when they were just a sperm and an intention in their father's brain, or there could be more to the story.
        Great clarification and new insight.

Remember that you must behave in life as at a dinner party. Is anything brought around to you? Put out your hand and take your share with moderation. Does it pass by you? Don't stop it. Is it not yet come? Don't stretch your desire towards it, but wait till it reaches you. Do this with regard to children, to a wife, to public posts, to riches, and you will eventually be a worthy partner of the feasts of the gods. And if you don't even take the things which are set before you, but are able even to reject them, then you will not only be a partner at the feasts of the gods, but also of their empire. For, by doing this, Diogenes, Heraclitus and others like them, deservedly became, and were called, divine.
        And this quote was something I was needing to see, great stuff!

Comment

Id say feeling maximum safe & loved is the highest desire.
          Rest is levels of sub-goals to that.

Im a fan of evocative diagrams.
          Pyramid diagrams dont say a lot imo.

Comment

Another thing I'd like to clarify which may be of interest for Supernova and ijjjji

Look at the diagram of maslows hierarchy, do you see the top part of pyramid where it says "Self-actualization", you see it forms another pyramid/triangle. The top of the pyramid actually has another pyramid in it. See it in the diagram?

So basically every human being when they'e born has to start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up, once you reach self-actualization you enter a new pyramid, if you ever DO reach it, as many don't, then this is like a universal "save" point. In Buddhism they call this "Stream entry". Meaning at this point you will be able remember all your past lives, and you are in the first phase of enlightenment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotāpanna

I know this sounds like comic book voodoo cult speak, but just putting this out there if any of you ever decide to go for this goal/endeavour in the future and some neuron fires off in your brain making you remember this post, it may be helpful to you.

Comment

Working...
            X