Addiction book recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addiction book recommendations

Hi guys, do you have book recommendations for overcoming addictive behaviors.?

At the moment I struggle struggle smoking plain online games and gambling.

I would love to have Meta informations which can be applied applied to the beach addictive behaviors. Thanks I advance bexx

smoking: there are great sites for that.

other stuff (gaming gambling): just quit and force yourself to not even do it for a second. Thats the only way as far as i know
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Comment

Firstly, you need to have some addicting things in your life. Maybe keep playing MMORPGs until you find something equally addicting to replace it with?

-I smoked for 11 years. Failed quitting always, because didnt have proper reason to quit when trying to. Then got into the idea of the body being a temple and the sole protector of your soul and your life. Then it became very easy to decide to never ever have a single smoke again in my life. (BTW, how are the new e-cigs healthwise? No tar I assume?)
      -Gambling vs. 'house' is just stupid. If you do that you are either stupid beyond hope, or need to wise up and realize its rigged for you to always lose in the long run.
      -Gambling vs other players, is all about time and dedication. To break even you need to play roughly 20% better than the average player (because the house always imposes a heavy tax). So if you spend 20hrs pr week reading poker forums and watching old episodes of high stakes poker, you may stand a chance at breaking even in online poker. Same type of situation for stock-market and other 'investing'...

So everything comes down to becoming a smarter person, actually. If you try various 'quitting methods' at your current 'level of smartness', failure is quite likely.

PS: I am considering quitting coffee. But I struggle convincing myself that it is as bad as its made out to be. What are the benefits of quitting?

Comment

I have no books to offer but a hint: if a certain behaviour pattern becomes addictive for you, it usually happens because it a) at least seemingly fills a hole for you and b) seems like a convenient and reliable way to fill that hole. So in case of smoking, if you regularily feel awkward around people you don't know yet, having a smoke can help you fill the gap between "I know nobody here" and "I've been around a few minutes, at least this guy/girl looks nice". Since you can easily take your cigarettes with you wherever you go, they are very convenient, and since they help you stay in a certain situation longer than you would be able to without them, they do "work". Now if you would just focus on NOT smoking anymore, you'll find yourself more incompetent in your everyday life for it because you haven't found an alternative solution for the situations in which you usually use your cigarettes. So if you're serious about wanting to quit smoking, you better be very observant of when exactly you usually smoke and what you use your cigarettes for. Then after you found out what that is, slowly train yourself to accept and practice other forms of dealing with those situations next to the cigarettes. Convince yourself those work as well by creating the experiences for yourself to back up your claims while still having the option of a cigarette around. Like, have it as a backup you're not going to need for a while, it probably helps you to feel more secure.

A friend of mine smokes for like 10 years now and he read just so many books about quitting I can't remember the number, but although he "quit" many times he always re-started sooner or later, and I'm pretty sure it's because he never went through the work I described above. Because if you don't, be quitting smoking you create an additional problem for yourself, one you already solved by smoking, so sooner or later you're going to revert back to "what has worked before".

Jester
        Bunterrichten - Alternativen zum Unter-richten:

Comment

Interesting replies. Just forcing yourself to not do something is bound to fail IME. I like to do something I call intelligent romanticizing, where you choose what you want to think is awesome. Unintelligent romanticising is what so many kids are doing, thinking drug abusing rockstar are the shit. Intelligent romantizising is mentally bigging up healthy choices and considering them to be the shit instead.

When looking at role models you can also just pick up specific traits that are good and leave other traits. Funny example is how a interview with Rick Danko helped me stop being fidgety and feeling a need to always do something with my hands. Rick just let is hands hang straight down on the sides, it looked goofy but still cool, it was like he was just there, unfiltered and pure, and I thought "fuck yeah, that's the way to be!"

Comment

Originally posted by ijjjji View Post
            PS: I am considering quitting coffee. But I struggle convincing myself that it is as bad as its made out to be. What are the benefits of quitting?
            i quit all caffeine intakes that became a habit

i feel depleted of neurotransmittors somehow after the caffeine rush and it feels worse than before

what helped me quit caffeine was the thought of how even the smallest amount fucked up my sleeproutine/circadanian rhythm
            ​​​​
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A

Comment

Hey, coming back from the first holiday trip with my honey.

I like a lot of statements here.

Most relating I feel is the position of Stargazer to me. Can you tell me more how you came to the word romanticing? I see what you mean. Unintelligent romanticing is exactly where I was getting all my bad habits from in the first place.

ijjjji the 2 things you said I could relate or hit my interest really were
              1. You always need something addictive in your life
              2. What are the benefits of quitting.

Comment

Working...
              X