Dai...what the hell is Gangnam Style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dai...what the hell is Gangnam Style?

I must admit, I am in fucking love with this song. And I am just wondering what the hell it actually means. And is it as big over there as it seems to be?

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about?

I was actually just about to post a thread with this video titled-

-Overweight Rich South Koreans are more dominant than Blacks-

I think Gangnam is a super rich part of South Korea -
    Opam is like rich older man game or something

Comment

Originally posted by money_matteo View Post
      I was actually just about to post a thread with this video titled-

-Overweight Rich South Koreans are more dominate than Blacks-

Fixed.

Comment

Dude, HE WAS ON THE FUCKING SHITTER

Comment

Thanks. Now I don't feel so bad about American entertainment becoming increasingly more brainless and content free.
          The older the violin, the sweeter the music. Augustus McCrae

Comment

This is how horny high sex drive I am: With all that shit going on in the video, all I thought while watching it was "Korean chicks are so fucking hot".
            How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
            The Blackdragon Blog

Comment

Been on vacation and away from the boards, but I missed you guys.

Gangnam is the wealthy, upscale, trendy part of Seoul. It's basically where the young and beautiful come to party and flaunt their game--whether that be money, looks or power.

"Oppa" is what girls call their "older brother" but it is also applied loosely as an honorific, sort of like "papi" in Spanish. Yes, there's nothing quite like fucking a girl who is calling you "oppa, oppa..." except maybe when they call you "Big Poppa."

This article in the Atlantic probably sums up the video and the culture better than I could. Also, there's a video with the lyrics translated for you Tov.

http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...sation/261462/

Something to note:

Many Korean artists have tried and failed to achieve this level of success. Some of these artists have the advantage of huge corporations with millions of marketing dollars behind them, plus the advantage of sex appeal, such as Wonder Girls, Boa and 2NE1. These companies can afford the best producers, the best coordinators and choreographers, and can position them on David Letterman or to throw out the first pitch at a Dodgers game. The problem is: they suck and have no inherent musical value.

But I know Psy as an acquaintance. His original manager was an ex-roommate an very close friend of mine from Canada. Also, Psy was studying in Berklee School of Music while I was in Boston for grad school.

It's pretty clear to me that Psy's experience in the US, mingling with other non-Koreans, and studying in the context of a legitimate music education system (unlike the cash for degrees travesties in Korea) helped him to inadvertently tap some sort of universal dance/pop vein. He was, in fact, one of the last people anyone would have suspected of such universal success, given the fact that he is 34, ancient by K-Pop standards, and he defies the sugary-pop boy/girl band image.

Koreans are masters of copying, so any visual bravado in the video was probably stolen from other movies or videos. However, as the article notes, Psy (or the director) was able to strike a decidedly un-Korean pose between camp and satire. This is almost unheard of in Korea where irony and subculture are virtually non-existent. Koreans themselves would not be able to detect anything other than cool or funny images but I can see how the video and sound would appeal to western hipsters and devoted dance-pop enthusiasts alike.

The song was big in Korea but became HUGE after the overseas success, just like everything else Korean that receives tacit Western approval.

Any other questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Daigoro View Post
                Psy (or the director) was able to strike a decidedly un-Korean pose between camp and satire. This is almost unheard of in Korea where irony and subculture are virtually non-existent. Koreans themselves would not be able to detect anything other than cool or funny images
                Are you serious? But but... then... how can you live there??

Comment

Originally posted by Dude909 View Post
                  Are you serious? But but... then... how can you live there??
                  It's a pretty fricking weird experience for a Canadian, I can tell you that.

Comment

Yes. Open condom store! More condom stores are what we need.

For some reason, these Eastern music-video choreography guys know how to come up with moves that make chicks look soooo sexy (and retarded, but who cares?). Even in rap videos, I think the booty shaking is not as fabulous as it could be. Except maybe Pitbull who gets the hottest girls in the Universe, so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdragon View Post
                      This is how horny high sex drive I am: With all that shit going on in the video, all I thought while watching it was "Korean chicks are so fucking hot".
                      Same here! I think Korean chicks are the hottest in the world! I've been trying to find a Korean girl to bang here in Tokyo but I don't seem to run into many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vexxor View Post
                        Same here! I think Korean chicks are the hottest in the world!
                        "Hottest in the world" to me would be more like chicks in Sweden or Estonia. But Korean babes would probably be second. I've fucked two of them. (Puffs out chest.) IMO Japanese chicks are hot as hell, but when they get all gussied up, they tend to look plastic and eerie, like mannequins or dolls with painted-on eyes. It creeps me out. But when Korean chicks look hot, they look HOT while still looking like human females. Yum.

Give me some hot spunky Korean chick with decent curves and that colored light-brown or blonde hair....mmmmm.....daddy likely.
                        How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
                        The Blackdragon Blog

Comment

K-pop is funded by the Korean Government. I think it's some kind of pop culture diplomacy they've got going on.

On another note: Aegyo is hot as fuck.

Comment

http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/06/psy-ga...justin-bieber/

Psy explains Gangnam style and how to do the horse dance!! (YES!!!!!!!!!!!) HAHAHA

Comment

This video has become the most "liked" video on Youtube in history, breaking a Guinness world record.

I anticipate another announcement soon from Guinness that K-Pop musician Psy will have banged more HBs than any other chubby Asian guy in history. Social proof, ya know...

Comment

Working...
                              X