Anyone seen The Quiet Earth (1985)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen The Quiet Earth (1985)?

I like watching older movies because they are way way better than the garbage that hollywood produces these days. Movies like k-pax, contact, gattaca, moon, cop, and a bunch of others.

Anyways I was looking for a new old movie to watch on IMDB and found The Quiet Earth

I think guys who are into pickup will appreciate the relationship in the movie.

-- Spoiler below --

Wow, the female character depicts women accurately, versus the Disney relationship story line most mainstream movies use.

I was crushed when the girl went for the black guy after sleeping with the original character. It really hurt the nice guy inside of me, and I could feel the main character's pain.

It just shows how women are so disloyal and how you cannot have any expectations for loyality, aka outcome independent. The black guy seems totally outcome independent though, what does he have to lose anyways?

I like to read comments on IMDB after I've watched the movie, seems like other viewers felt the same:

"The unrequited love is crushing"
    "You're one of only two men on earth and you still lose, my god."
    "lol nice guys finish last, even when you're the only one left. If you're happy and you know it, it's a sin."

I remember that movie. I love that kind of understated, thoughtful SciFi movie (The Man From Earth is another good example).

Yes, you could see what was coming a mile away. The black guy was the epitome of the Alpha male, and the white guy was a dweeb. No question who was going to end up with the last chick on earth. As Franco would say, it was predictable "with mathematical precision".

What I would like to see in movies though, is a situation where people are not what they appear to be. If I was one of two men left on earth (and I certainly look like a white dweeb guy), I'd pop a cap in the other dudes back when he wasn't looking, then say to the chick, "Well, guess you're mine now, unless you want to end up like him", LOL.....

Comment

Wow. Amazing you brought this movie up.

I saw it in the theaters way back in the 80's. Quiet Earth is one of the most thought-provoking movies I have ever seen in my entire life. It's one of those movies you'll think about A LOT after seeing it. Like years after you've seen it.

It works on many levels, not just the interpersonal man-woman ones. Pretty amazing.

Fun Fact: The star of the movie, that ugly bald guy, was a hardcore Alpha player in real life. He died young (age 54) from smoking and drinking too much.
      How to have 3 hour meet-to-lays and nonmonogamous relationships with any type of woman:
      The Blackdragon Blog

Comment

A woman may actually care about you if you've been mutually invested for several years, and share a deep, honest, meaningful connection that wasn't completely tarnished by fighting and excess drama.

In all other situations, EXPECT NOTHING from a woman you are fucking, except to ditch you as soon as a better man comes along.

Comment

For women:

A PUA/Player may actually care about you if you've been mutually invested for several years, and share a deep, honest, meaningful connection that wasn't completely tarnished by fighting and excess drama.

In all other situations, EXPECT NOTHING but good sex from a PUA you are fucking, except to next you as soon as hotter women come along.

Comment

Another theme I thought about today was that worse comes to worse you can always start a new life. You can always press the "reset" button and start over.

In the movie he kills himself 3 times, starts over 3 times. Girl problems? no problem, start over.

There's no reason to complain, just start a new life. Don't like your life? quit everything, sell everything, move to a new city, start again.

Comment

Qlue, thats a powerful thing you are saying. I don't think most guys are capable of it. The reason is, most people are far, far to stuck in their ruts to really change. Even guys who are truly free from obligations- for example, a young guy with no mortgage, kids, high-dollar job, etc. Even those guys will come up with tons of excuses for staying where they are, doing what they've been doing.

I was married, with two small kids, and miserable beyond words, busting my ass for a shrewish wife when I basically said "Fuck it", found the community, moved to E. Europe, and rebooted my life. God, was it ever the right thing to do. But...hard. Really, truly, soul-crushingly hard to just walk away from two kids you love more than anything else. Why do you think JWS goes through all the drama that he puts up with to see D1 and D2? I saw my kids for a few days a year and it just tore me up. Some guys drown their sorrows in beer...I drowned mine in Romanian pussies.

Thats why I don't have much patience with guys who bitch and moan about how their life sucks, but yet they have 1)No bills to pay, 2)No family and 3)No career. W. T. F? Your life doesn't suck, it's a gigantic fucking gold-plated opportunity waiting for you to grow a pair!

Comment

Originally posted by Qlue View Post
                There's no reason to complain, just start a new life. Don't like your life? quit everything, sell everything, move to a new city, start again.
                Exactly. I know we are all brain-washed everywhere, but really, sometimes I just want to smack some sense into the Americans who bitch and moan about how their life sucks or how women don't like them or you can only get laid if you are rich or jacked or whatever.

The opportunity is just right in front of your eyes, you dumbass. Yeah, if you were born in suburban Mogadishu, yeah, maybe you are fucked. But I have heard the same shit from guys from Detroit, for example. Shut up and fucking take responsibility already.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Boyfriend View Post
                  For women:

A PUA/Player may actually care about you if you've been mutually invested for several years, and share a deep, honest, meaningful connection that wasn't completely tarnished by fighting and excess drama.

In all other situations, EXPECT NOTHING but good sex from a PUA you are fucking, except to next you as soon as hotter women come along.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I call Tarzan's condition the "Paradise Lost Syndrome". Its only an inch away from Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by JetSetJim View Post
                    Qlue, thats a powerful thing you are saying. I don't think most guys are capable of it. The reason is, most people are far, far to stuck in their ruts to really change. Even guys who are truly free from obligations- for example, a young guy with no mortgage, kids, high-dollar job, etc. Even those guys will come up with tons of excuses for staying where they are, doing what they've been doing.

I was married, with two small kids, and miserable beyond words, busting my ass for a shrewish wife when I basically said "Fuck it", found the community, moved to E. Europe, and rebooted my life. God, was it ever the right thing to do. But...hard. Really, truly, soul-crushingly hard to just walk away from two kids you love more than anything else. Why do you think JWS goes through all the drama that he puts up with to see D1 and D2? I saw my kids for a few days a year and it just tore me up. Some guys drown their sorrows in beer...I drowned mine in Romanian pussies.

Thats why I don't have much patience with guys who bitch and moan about how their life sucks, but yet they have 1)No bills to pay, 2)No family and 3)No career. W. T. F? Your life doesn't suck, it's a gigantic fucking gold-plated opportunity waiting for you to grow a pair!
                    Originally posted by hangman View Post
                    Exactly. I know we are all brain-washed everywhere, but really, sometimes I just want to smack some sense into the Americans who bitch and moan about how their life sucks or how women don't like them or you can only get laid if you are rich or jacked or whatever.

The opportunity is just right in front of your eyes, you dumbass. Yeah, if you were born in suburban Mogadishu, yeah, maybe you are fucked. But I have heard the same shit from guys from Detroit, for example. Shut up and fucking take responsibility already.

I've done it 3 times and I think it's really fun actually. I love starting over. At age 20 I ran away from home, left my parents in Toronto to live in San Francisco, after a year in San Francisco I moved to L.A, and them from L.A. I moved to Manhattan. Once I get good at pick up I plan on just traveling the world for a year or two, living in different cities for several months, living in the woods, living on a boat, I want to try everything. I think it was reading books like Catcher In The Rye that made me enjoy going on these adventures.

Will I ever get married? I don't know, probably not. Will I ever have a son? Maybe once I'm bored of seeing the world, maybe around age 50-60 and I want to pass down all my collected knowledge.

Until then, there's no way I'm settling down.

Comment

I call Tarzan's condition the "Paradise Lost Syndrome". Its only an inch away from Disney.
                      Hangman, you don't have to BEG me to ask... But since you did:

Oh, great Guru, pray tell, what is the next step in the path?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarzan View Post
                        Hangman, you don't have to BEG me to ask... But since you did:

Oh, great Guru, pray tell, what is the next step in the path?

Having a great connection or not over the years with a women doesn't mean that her pussy will automatically stay wet for you. What you said IS bordering on Disney.
                        The second half of what you said though does ring true. Follow that half of your own advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Futureproof View Post
                          Having a great connection or not over the years with a women doesn't mean that her pussy will automatically stay wet for you. What you said IS bordering on Disney.
                          The second half of what you said though does ring true. Follow that half of your own advice!
                          Yeah, I agree with this. The second part is perfectly sound, sounds perfect, etc.

You gotta admit that Bad_BF's paraphrasing of your post was pretty funny, Tarzan.

Comment

You gotta admit that Bad_BF's paraphrasing of your post was pretty funny, Tarzan.
                            I saw reflected in the post a mirror on what we do here: when you are truly good with women, you are the "Hot Girl".

Comment

I loved that movie. I actually watched it again on Netflix just a few months ago, and the ending always blows my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X