How Gratitude can Change your Shitty Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Gratitude can Change your Shitty Life

In answer to a question from a reader...

I talk about the tough times I went through this year and how I used Gratitude and Being Proactive to get myself out of it.

http://youtu.be/Vy8I727lrbg

I did this in one take, and my voice was smooth and not cracking at all, and the fucking audio is fucked up somehow ... anyway, I am not going to make excuses but keep pumping these out. I hope you enjoy it!

Beautiful. This is something I'm trying to apply to my life. It seems easy but how the hell is it possible to maintain a positive outlook when someone is surrounded by so much negativity? My oldest brother is a huge source of it and I try to avoid him whenever possible. When we're at home, he gets offended by me ignoring him and tries to start shit. I explained to him that I don't want to be around him when he's negative and he calls me a new age hippie. If you add that to a super conservative, Catholic family then you can understand why I like being alone and far away from them. Tips?

Comment

I should start making videos like this. Save me the trouble of typing

Good video! I always try to show appreciation to the people around me and it definitely makes me happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatus View Post
        I like being alone and far away from them. Tips?
        Yes. Be alone and far away from them.

too much baggage with family. it's too easy to revert into a pre-programmed routine when around them. I left them and became who I needed to be on my own. by the way - physical distance doesn't necessarily help. they can find ways bridge that gap.

Comment

I think the audio is fine on this. There's some background noise but it's completely tolerable.

I like the message too.

Like you said, sometimes it's hard to see the positive reframe of a situation. But it ALWAYS exists. And with practice it gets easier and easier to dwell on the things that make you feel good instead of the things that make you feel shitty.

Comment

If you add that to a super conservative, Catholic family then you can understand why I like being alone and far away from them. Tips?
            Get out. Get a job and a room somewhere and live by yourself. My first place was just big enough to have a waterbed on the floor and have an L shaped bit of floor on two sides. My closet was in the hallway and had a separate lock. My entertainment was an alarm clock radio. I was working washing dishes at a restaurant. I got laid there several times. It was 200 times better than living with my insane Catholic mom.
            The older the violin, the sweeter the music. Augustus McCrae

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertree View Post
              Get out. Get a job and a room somewhere and live by yourself. My first place was just big enough to have a waterbed on the floor and have an L shaped bit of floor on two sides. My closet was in the hallway and had a separate lock. My entertainment was an alarm clock radio. I was working washing dishes at a restaurant. I got laid there several times. It was 200 times better than living with my insane Catholic mom.
              Hey I think I was in the same place

Comment

Originally posted by SgtGrumbles View Post
                Yes. Be alone and far away from them.

too much baggage with family. it's too easy to revert into a pre-programmed routine when around them. I left them and became who I needed to be on my own. by the way - physical distance doesn't necessarily help. they can find ways bridge that gap.

Exactly how I feel and you explained it perfectly. In college, I was so confident and independent. Back home, I'm shy and dependent on my family for the most basic shit.

Get out. Get a job and a room somewhere and live by yourself. My first place was just big enough to have a waterbed on the floor and have an L shaped bit of floor on two sides. My closet was in the hallway and had a separate lock. My entertainment was an alarm clock radio. I was working washing dishes at a restaurant. I got laid there several times.
                I may have to do that. I'm working a seasonal job right now and I'm saving as much money as I can. Were you still living in the same city or in a different part of the country? My goal is to have enough money to live somewhere comfortably with decent people and sexy chicks.

It was 200 times better than living with my insane Catholic mom.
                I don't mean to portray my parents as villians. It's hard to explain. My parents are devout (pray the rosary everyday and go to church every Sunday). Sure, their rebuttal to any of my arguments about sexual freedom and how Catholicism seems to have strayed away from religion and moved towards becoming a business is, "Don't be blasphemous!" But they genuinely care about me even if I disappoint them with the mistakes I've made.

However, I feel like I'm in charge of my life when I'm away from them

EDIT- Anyone have tips for dealing with negative people though?

Comment

Hey JWS! Gratitude is very important. At one point I made a list of about 75 things I'm grateful for and the whole experience made me ridiculously happy.

Your delivery is getting a lot better. As for the audio, it sounds like you might have had the computer on top of some electronic thing that was vibrating...

Comment

Silvertree, scratch what I said earlier. My mum is crazy I was teasing her about breakfast in my best Gordan Ramsay impression and she went off on me. She even calls me "Beatus the Muslim" because I'm "disrespectful" towards women and it's my fault I got kicked out of college. Guess I gotta find a new city to move to.

Comment

Working...
                    X