Outcome Independence Apifiny

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outcome Independence Apifiny

I attended an elementary school talent show this past Friday night with my LTR because her little brother was going to be in it (who's sexy teacher was eyeball banging me the whole time, or at least I'd like to think). I live in a small town in north FL. so it was a pretty small school with a rinky dink audatorium about the size of a pack of gum. There were about 20 acts, and out of these, 2 really stood out to me and it's like someone flipped a light bulb on in my head. This little girl gets called up on stage by the teacher/announcer. She was about 7 or 8 years old from the looks of her. Walking to the stage you can see the fear in her step. She seemed really hesitant to put herself on stage in front of these 50 or so people. She walks up the stairs, instantly regrets her decision, tries to turn around and walk off, and the teachers literally had to force her on stage. So she walks slowly to the microphone, staring at her feet the whole time, careful not to trip, with her hands in her pockets, and her face as red as an apple. She gets really frustrated and embarrassed when she can't figure out how to adjust the microphone to her liking, and almost cries. Finally the music comes on. She sings some Carrie Underwood song with a really shaky and scared voice. Now aside from all of that, this little girl had an amazing voice. Every note was on pitch and key. But she was really uncomfortable up there and the whole thing was just akward and painful to watch. She finished her last verse and ran off stage before the music even stopped. The audience gave her a sympathetic sounding round of applause.
    The second kid that stood out to me was this boy that was doing a guitar solo. He looked to be about 7 or 8 also. They called his name and he was ready for it. He came marching down the isle, guitar in hand, like he was Jimmy Hendrix about to rock Woodstock. This kid hops up on stage with more confidence than most people could dream of having. He got a round of applause before he even started his act. He went on to play his single string version of 'Smoke on the Water'. It SUCKED! It was terrible! Even for a kid his age. You couldn't identify with the melody even after they told you what you were supposed to be listening to. But this kid didn't give a SHIT! He was rocking out! Head banging and sticking his tounge out like Gene Simmons. When he finished, he stood up, threw his guitar over his back, and put his hands in the air. He was ready to soak in his round of applause. He got a standing ovation! They loved him! He lacked all ability and yet he was more enjoyable to watch than the little girl that actually had talent. It's because he didn't give a shit! He went up there to do his thing and he was going to do it and have fun no matter what anyone else thought. And it worked! Everyone loved him for it. No doubt in my mind this kid would have been just as happy if it would have been only his mother clapping for him. The audience sensed that and admired it. Hell, I admired him for it.
    That really sunk in the effectiveness of OI for me. I can't think of a better example. Not only is it beneficial to the ego of the person using it, it's also recognizable and identifiable. People sense it and love it!!

Welcome to the forum, and nice to see you're seeing the value in outcome independence. Whodathunk we could learn this shit from 7 year olds?

Anyway, when you're posting on a forum, try using lots of paragraphs, it's a bit painful on the eyes to read this wall of text...and I think the word you're looking for in your title is "epiphany" - it took a minute to figure out what "apifiny" was supposed to mean...

Cheers

Faust

Comment

Originally posted by Amassey10 View Post
      The second kid that stood out to me was this boy that was doing a guitar solo. He looked to be about 7 or 8 also. They called his name and he was ready for it. He came marching down the isle, guitar in hand, like he was Jimmy Hendrix about to rock Woodstock. This kid hops up on stage with more confidence than most people could dream of having. He got a round of applause before he even started his act. He went on to play his single string version of 'Smoke on the Water'. It SUCKED! It was terrible! Even for a kid his age. You couldn't identify with the melody even after they told you what you were supposed to be listening to. But this kid didn't give a SHIT! He was rocking out! Head banging and sticking his tounge out like Gene Simmons. When he finished, he stood up, threw his guitar over his back, and put his hands in the air. He was ready to soak in his round of applause. He got a standing ovation!
      Amazing, I see lot's of kids like this and I think it's sad that as we get older we lose that rock star attitude, some however still hang on. We should all try to be more like kids in our attitudes and this primarily means starting with a clean slate with any interaction and everything you approach. Kids have not yet built up negative habits and thinking patterns. And so they approach everything with hope and positivity.

And despite the terrible huge block of text that desperately needs to be broken down into paragraphs, I think it's so incredibly refreshing to see a new member taking cues from the simple things and noticing little details, most new guys that come on here write an introductory post which is usually just about some silly girl who breaks their heart. There are so many magic moments and wonderful lessons in the mundane and everyday around us.

Comment

Working...
      X